How much do you trust pool maintenance services at vacation pools?

Jun 12, 2013
Buffalo, NY
We rented a house at Myrtle beach with a pool and attached hot tub. I checked the skimmer baskets (there are 4 of them) and each one had large chlorine pucks; three baskets had 1 puck and one of them had 4.

We have a large gaggle of very young kids and I was guessing the pool guy dumped more than needed for no reason other than human nature assumptions so I took 3 of the four large pucks out of the last basket.

This morning I saw pool guys wrapping up. Headed out and each basket now has a fresh puck in it (the old ones were almost depleted) and the basket that I took a few out of had the old pucks I removed as well as a bunch of new ones.

I'm assuming pool guys care more about maintaining crystal clarity even at the expense of overchlorinating. Is this a bad assumption? I'm tempted to take some of these enormous chlorine pucks out but without my test kit (mental note, ALWAYS bring test kit along) I have no way of proving it.

MVIMG_20180822_092855.jpg

The odds of that being overchlorinated with that many pucks and the inherent CYA levels they produce is pretty slim I think. They didn't just start that process yesterday!

At least you found CL in the pool. I rented a house in Palm Springs for a month. It had a seperate spa and pool. While the water was clear I did not get any feel of CL in the water. I went to Leslies and bought a basic test kit. Sure enough, 0 CL and high PH. I called the owner who first told me the pool service comes weekly and the water is clear. After some discussion, he got the pool service to come over. I chatted with the guy when he came over and for at least the month I was there the pool was serviced and I double checked with my test kit.

I would not trust any pool service to maintain a pool in a rental house the way we do it here.

Id swim in that before I swam in a pool that I saw had a stenner pump without me being able to test it. As another member posted the chances of going out of range with the pucks adding both FC and CYA are slim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.