How many hours should the pool pump run with a cover?

elsa

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Hello,
I live in Atlanta, and have a 20x40 pool covered with an electric cover (Coverstar). I keep asking the same question to pool people and their answer is: just run it for 12 hours and you ll be fine!

Needless to say, I am not thrilled with this response, as I try to cut down on electricity and do not like wasting energy.

In California, I used to run it for 1 hour for each 10 degrees + 1 hour. So if the pool was 80 degrees, I would run it for 9 hours.

Now, the data has changed as I now live in GA, and my pool has a cover that is on at all time the pool is not being used.

So I am wondering: can I still apply the same 1hr for 10 degrees + 1?

But then, how does the fact that it is covered impact this? There is no debris in the pool as a result, and no exposure to sun when closed. I would assume that without the risk of algae and without any debris, I should be able to run it a lot less than 1hr/10 degrees +1.

Can anybody help me figure it out? Many thanks!
Elsa

I run mine for hours. If the chlorine level is not keeping up I increase it to. I have only had it for a half summer but I figure 4 hours is enough to circulate it. and filter out the small amount of dirt it gets. At that point it just needs to run long enough for the salt cell to do its job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.