How long will high chlorine last

Kev68ss

Well-known member
May 2, 2010
50
0
52
Near Nashville TN
#1
About two weeks ago i was having some algae growth so I got my FC to shock levels- actually, much higher- they were in the mid 30s at times. Well, I have sparkling clean water, but my FC is still very high (mid 20s) I have not added any bleach in over 2 weeks, and it is hot and sunny here- low 90s. I have a swg that is set at 50% as insurance, and my CYA is close to 70. I would have thought these high levels would have dissipated or burned off by now???

FC 22
CC 0
PH 7.4
CYA 70
TA 85
 

Bluechip

Well-known member
Feb 5, 2012
131
0
Cypress, TX
#4
What % do you normally run your swg? If it's close to 50% then I can see it taking a while to get the fc levels back down. Shut it down or greatly reduce it for a while and see how it goes.
 

Kev68ss

Well-known member
May 2, 2010
50
0
52
Near Nashville TN
#5
Question- why kill the swg for a while? Is it hurting anything having FC high- I realize fading of liner, etc...but that's not really a concern. I'm afraid if swg is off and this hot sunny weather continues, good ole algae will return. I do keep at 50% normally and it usually runs +/- 6 FC. It will eventually droop down I'd imagine.

Thanks again