How long to run my pump?

May 1, 2018
Jax/Fl
Hey guys, as the thread title says, I am looking for an idea of how long i should run my pump a day.
I have a 24ft round 52" deep pool. Water level is around 46" I estimate around 13k gallons.
I have a roaring river 1HP pump rated at 62GPM, with an 18"(I think) sand filter rated at 75GPM.

My previous coleman pool had a tiny little sand filter, and I got used to running it 24 hours a day. This pump and filter is considerably bigger, and based on my flow rates I am not sure I need to be running it that long. I know I should be running it when I add chemicals and it should be off with swimmers in the water. Other than that I am a bit lost on how much I should run the pump everyday. I am pretty sure I am already seeing the electric bill going up.
Also, I live in Northeast Florida, on a corner lot surrounded by trees (pine mostly). I also have a single large live oak tree in my backyard near the pool. Any time the wind picks up past about 15MPH I have to fish about 5 lbs of pine needles out!

Let me know your thoughts! TIA!

The answer is: it depends.

The only way to know for sure how little filtering you can get away with is by experimentation. Here's how: Determine Pump Run Time - Trouble Free Pool

You would do well to buy some knee-high nylons or foodservice hairnets or even $kimmer $ock$ to stretch over your skimmer basket to prefilter the floating debris. Pine needles in particular can slip through both baskets and clog up the pump impeller. They won't slip through a hairnet.

I just remembered about the Pool school section and read that while you replied LOL.
I have had issues having to clean out the pump basket due to pine needles. The hair net is a great idea! I'll look into that.
Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.