How long to run my Intelliflow VSF

Bvacchiano

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
I’ve seen a lot of conflicting info on this all over the web and even on here. I’m trying to figure out how long to run this thing. I don’t want to run it anymore than I have to obviously. Here’s what I have: I need to run my pump at 2650 rpm (45 Gpm according to intelliflow) in order for the water to smoothly flow over the large spa spillway. That’s the minimum. It’s a wife thing. I have no control over it! It must be flowing all day smoothly! Lol. Anyways at 45 gpm (I assume this is accurate???) that will cycle all my water once through the filter in 4.5 hours. Is that all I need? Do I need to put it through at least twice? Does it have to run a minimum amount of time like 8,9,10 hours instead? Dont want to run it anymore than necessary. Obviously I’m running during day here.

B,

Here are the main reasons to run a pool pump...

Each pool is a little different... You generally run a pump for three reasons:

1. To keep surface debris moving and being pushed into the skimmers. The more debris the more often you need to run the pump.

2. If you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) you'll need to run it long enough to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

3. To circulate the water to ensure the chlorine is effectively distributed throughout the pool. Two or three hours per day is all that is needed for this to happen in most pools.

So to answer your question... we do not regard the idea that you have to have x water turnovers per day as valid. It is more of a myth than a fact..

The real answer is... it is your pool and you should run your pump however you want... keeping the three above guidelines in mind... With your size pool, and an IC40, you will need to run about 5.5 hours per day with your cell set at 100% output, to generate 3 ppm of FC per day... (Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of Fc per day...)

I suspect that running your spa spillover all the time is driving your pH up quite a bit, but that is between you and your wife... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.