Bwdonohues58

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 22, 2019
Homer, AK
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Pentair Intelliflo XF variable speed pump that’s working fine. Installed new 2-½ years ago. Used in a 10,000 gallon non-salt water pool. It runs 24/7 at 2250 rpm for 8 hours and 650 rpm for 16 hours. Any idea how long this pump will last? Also, what are the symptoms of a pump that needs replacing? I would be in trouble in our Therapy biz if it quit suddenly and I had to order a new one. Delivery to AK is slow at best.

Welcome back B-Dubbs !!!

Barring a lightning strike, power surge, or freeze you can expect 10-15 years from the pump.
Also, what are the symptoms of a pump that needs replacing
An electronic failure will generally brick the pump for an easy red flag.

A component failure will usually leak or run noisy or both.

Sometimes either is serviceable and sometimes not.

I would be in trouble in our Therapy biz if it quit suddenly and I had to order a new one. Delivery to AK is slow at best.
For a residence, I would ask you where you draw the line for backups. Is it the pool ? The refrigerator ? Your vehicle ? Your home ?

For a business who needs the pool to remain open, I'd probably have a spare. It can be tested to prove it works and then properly drained /stored until its one day needed.

There's a thread about preventive maintenance below. The good news is that the Intelliflo is recognized as one of the best pumps out there and it will probably outlast your heater. @1poolman1 can probably give you some insight into Intelliflo longevity.

Do you do your own maintenance or do you have a service company you use? You could probably just buy a cheap Whisperflo motor to use as a temporary emergency backup while waiting for a replacement. BTW, you should add your pump and heater models to your signature.

Last edited:
Our Sta-Rite Dura-Glass P2RA5E 1.0HP pump is 26 years old. I'm sure it's not performing as it was when it was new, but it's still going strong! Our Polaris PB4 booster pump died after 15 years and our Hayward 6060 booster pump is still going strong after 10 years.

My prior lower-end Hayward pump lasted over 10 years without a hiccup. Only replaced it with a new VS pump for my convenience and to save energy.

I have a Pentair Intelliflo XF variable speed pump that’s working fine. Installed new 2-½ years ago. Used in a 10,000 gallon non-salt water pool. It runs 24/7 at 2250 rpm for 8 hours and 650 rpm for 16 hours. Any idea how long this pump will last? Also, what are the symptoms of a pump that needs replacing? I would be in trouble in our Therapy biz if it quit suddenly and I had to order a new one. Delivery to AK is slow at best.
First Intelliflow (4X160) I installed about 15 years ago is still running with only one seal replacement. That was the original, no programming in the pump drive. First one of the newer versions that had programming in the drive was about 12 years ago (I had started to use another brand by then) is still going strong (as is my Hayward SP3400VSP, the worst of the worst as far as VSP longevity went at that time. I got a good one.)

Newdude's advice is good. Barring an outside cause, the pump should last another 10+ years. Be sure to watch for evidence of a seal leak (water below the main pump body). Though not usually known, pump manufacturers have always recommended the seal be replaced at 5-year intervals, they do wear out and are the cause for the vast majority of pump failures (actually motor failures). Don't know anyone that does that, but on a pool that needs to be in operation continually, like yours, it is good preventative maintenance. Pump would only have to be down for about an hour.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: guinness
Our Sta-Rite Dura-Glass P2RA5E 1.0HP pump is 26 years old. I'm sure it's not performing as it was when it was new, but it's still going strong! Our Polaris PB4 booster pump died after 15 years and our Hayward 6060 booster pump is still going strong after 10 years.
Whatever was made 15-26 yrs ago, is superior in reliability, parts and longevity to anything made today re pumps. Granted, single speed pumps are much simpler pumps than VSP's, but anything made 20 yrs ago did not have the planned obsolescence that everything made today does....

• Sad
Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
One of the most common causes of pump motor failure is a seal failure. The shaft then leaks causing the bearings to rust and seize up. If you can catch it early enough, you can save the motor from failure so it is important to keep a look out for water dripping under the pump housing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whatever was made 15-26 yrs ago, is superior in reliability, parts and longevity to anything made today re pumps. Granted, single speed pumps are much simpler pumps than VSP's, but anything made 20 yrs ago did not have the planned obsolescence that everything made today does....
God that is the truth. I have put on many intelliflows and the newer ones are not lasting as long, the drives, the screens, or the motors just go out at random. Thats a darn shame because its my favorite VS.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.