How long for liquid stabilizer to work?

Sep 26, 2012
New mini pebble.. 27000 gallons.. added 2 bottles of liquid stabilizer, one a few days ago and the other yesterday.. still only registering 30-40.. added 2 pounds of shock last night and 0 chlorine is registering.... how long before my level rises so I know what my real value is for the Cya?

This will be a salt pool but for now I just put non stabilized pucks in a floatie thing....

We are dying to swim!!

Liquid stabilizer goes in right away.

Assuming good circulation and thorough brushing, the level should read correctly in a few hours.

374 oz liquid stabilizer will provide 40 ppm in 27,000 gallons.

How many ounces did you add?

Liquid stabilizer goes in right away.

Assuming good circulation and thorough brushing, the level should read correctly in a few hours.

374 oz liquid stabilizer will provide 40 ppm in 27,000 gallons.

How many ounces did you add?
I thought so.. its the granules that take time.... 2 gallons so 256 oz.... so that sounds about right.. I about 30-40 ish... so looks like I need little more... I shocked last night but today 0 chlorine .. so now have pucks in floater.. how long till it registers?

I will look that up.... again this is new pebble.. just making sure safe... thanks so much
I just read about how to do it... I just added acid to bring ph lower, it was 7.8... once I get that in range I can start it sounds like... does it matter if I use bleach or liq chlorine? The grocery store is closer than the pool store.. and how do I know how much bleach to add?
OK.. I used the pool math calculator to see how much bleach to add to get up to shock level of 12 according to the chart.... it is 5 gallons and 1 quart. So, I add these slowly over days... and just keep testing?

Last edited:
so I added 2 gallons of bleach 3 hours ago and my chlorine level is 2-4... ph 7.6
So finally registering! Will I be able to see a difference in the water in the morning? Now that I have chlorine should it be ok, or do I still need to slam and is it safe with my new pebble?

Liquid chlorine is bleach, which is liquid chlorine. Only difference is concentration. Also bleach sometimes has additives you want to avoid (like Clorox brand anything, or fabric protection, etc) whereas liquid chlorine doesn't. Many hardware stores, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. have liquid chlorine in their pool supply areas too.

What does the pool look like? Is it crystal clear?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Liquid chlorine is bleach, which is liquid chlorine. Only difference is concentration. Also bleach sometimes has additives you want to avoid (like Clorox brand anything, or fabric protection, etc) whereas liquid chlorine doesn't. Many hardware stores, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. have liquid chlorine in their pool supply areas too.

What does the pool look like? Is it crystal clear?
great.. so I added 1 bottle of chlorox... and I bottle of bleach.. I did notice the chlorox bubbled..
pool is cloudy and green.. its a new fill... filled on friday. NOt green with algae.. tinted green...

Then you should SLAM. Lower pH to 7.2, add an appropriate amount of chlorine to get to SLAM levels on the FC/CYA Levels, test FC as often as you can (at least 3x a day but not more than every 30 mins), get the FC back to SLAM level after each test. Run the pump constantly. The green should clear out until it's blue and cloudy, then keep the SLAM up until the cloudiness is gone with your filter. Clean the filter often.

Also no need to worry about the SWG until the SLAM is over. It won't be able to contribute enough FC to keep up - you'll be adding bleach/liquid chlorine to get back to FC levels. If your CYA is between 30 and 40, then use 40 as the CYA level.

Also no need to worry about the SWG until the SLAM is over. It won't be able to contribute enough FC to keep up - you'll be adding bleach/liquid chlorine to get back to FC levels. If your CYA is between 30 and 40, then use 40 as the CYA level.
this is new pebble, no salt in pool right now... thanks for your help... just wondering why can't I shock it with powder? why is that bad? thanks !!

Powder will add either calcium or CYA to the pool. Also, a one-time shock can drive up your FC well above what we recommend - it may or may not kill the algae, and if you go too high up the FC can damage equipment, pool surfaces, etc. The SLAM method keeps the FC at an elevated but safe level (you can even swim while FC is up at SLAM level), keeps the equipment and surfaces safe, and you know it's continuing to sanitize the water as it is a level that will do so. :)

Reactions: Texgirl
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.