How long do I need to wait between adding bleach and muratic acid?

Jun 20, 2019
Sacramento, CA
PH: 8.2+ - off the charts
TA: 100
CC: Try to keep it around 4-5
CYA: 30
CH 275
Borates: Do not have a test strip – but will be purchasing one today

I have been following TF methodology for a couple of years. Usually I need to add ¼ muriatic acid a week to keep my PH below 7.8 but this year I have had problems with it continuing to go lower and lower. In the past I have not used Borax, but decided to add to assist with the PH based on the pool math. Pool math told me to add 74oz but I only had 65 oz of Borax (Mule Team) so I added it two days ago. That evening I tested my PH and it was super high. I have added 1 cup of muriatic acid and it is still high. Reading through the posts on TF it seems like I should have also added muriatic acid, but it did not tell me to do that at the Pool Math. Since I live in Sacramento and it has intense sun (95-104 degrees), I need to add 6-10 cups of chlorine a day (6% - been having problems locating stronger liquid bleach). I added 10 cups this morning, but I want to know how long do I have to wait after adding bleach to add muriatic acid? I have heard you have to wait, so they don’t have a bad reaction. After doing some probing, it looks like I made need to add as much 8 cups of muriatic acid and so far I have only added 1 cup. I am going to start adding 1-2 cups at a time and then retest 6-8 hours later (since I work, I put chemicals in morning and/or evening).

I added 10 cups this morning, but I want to know how long do I have to wait after adding bleach to add muriatic acid?

Andrea G. Sacramento, 5,700G, IG Plaster, 12 yrs, 2 speed pump, waterfall, city water, TF-100+

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.