How long can I expect 12% liquid chlorine to last?

Desire5292

Apr 30, 2019
Sylvan Springs, Alabama
Was just wondering how much I can "stock up" on chlorine now. This is my first season using TFP so I've been researching bleach/chlorine prices...I saw yesterday that Menard's is having a BOGO sale on their 12% (or 12.5%?) liquid chlorine...comes out to $2 a gallon which seems like a super deal!
I don't have Menard's near me but my sister is at college for another couple weeks very near a Menard's and then she's spending the summer with me. Just wondering how many gallons I could safely buy and store? I guess the better question would be, how long can I expect it to last? I don't want to get enough for the whole summer if it would only last a month?

Reactions: splashpad
Was just wondering how much I can "stock up" on chlorine now. This is my first season using TFP so I've been researching bleach/chlorine prices...I saw yesterday that Menard's is having a BOGO sale on their 12% (or 12.5%?) liquid chlorine...comes out to $2 a gallon which seems like a super deal!
I don't have Menard's near me but my sister is at college for another couple weeks very near a Menard's and then she's spending the summer with me. Just wondering how many gallons I could safely buy and store? I guess the better question would be, how long can I expect it to last? I don't want to get enough for the whole summer if it would only last a month?
  • IF - you can find fresh dates (within the month of purchase date or closer)
  • AND - you can store them in a cool/dark area (basement)
  • They keep their potency for longer
  • Both heat & UV cause chlorine to degrade and the higher the percentage, the faster this happens
I've personally kept our chlorine through each season and get levels as expected, but our chlorine is kept in the basement 100% of the time after purchase, it never sees light or heat until the day I use it in the pool.
You will get multiple opinions and IT does matter the local climate, how old it is and how it's been stored/handled.

Reactions: TexasPool128
Update: I called Menard's and they weren't too interested in checking the dates, but did say they get several shipments in per week and go through it fast...sounds like it would be pretty fresh? The problem is, it would have to sit in my sister's car for about two days because their sale ends this weekend and she's leaving on Tuesday. She's in Illinois so i don't think it's super hot up there yet...would it survive or is it not worth all the trouble? I have a basement to put it in once we get it here.

Reactions: splashpad
Update: I called Menard's and they weren't too interested in checking the dates, but did say they get several shipments in per week and go through it fast...sounds like it would be pretty fresh? The problem is, it would have to sit in my sister's car for about two days because their sale ends this weekend and she's leaving on Tuesday. She's in Illinois so i don't think it's super hot up there yet...would it survive or is it not worth all the trouble? I have a basement to put it in once we get it here.
The first few days is not critical, it's over the next couple of weeks, preferably cool storage :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.