How long between stabilizer and chlorine?

citypoolnewbie

Jun 3, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Hi all,
I have a small 600 gallon pool that I am setting up for the first time. How long do I need to wait between adding stabilizer (I have the clorox brand) and the chlorine? Also, I read something about putting the stabilizer into a sock and not directly into the water?? Can someone explain the correct process for adding the stabilizer?

another question- it is supposed to rain tomorrow and the pool is not yet full. Can I just leave the pool uncovered and let the rain fill up the pool some more?

Thanks!

You are hardly going to get any rain for the week. You can leave the cover off and capture whatever rain does fall.

You can add stabilizer and chlorine at the same time. The only chemical you should not add together is chlorine and muriatic acid. Wait at least 15 minutes there.

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

You are hardly going to get any rain for the week. You can leave the cover off and capture whatever rain does fall.

You can add stabilizer and chlorine at the same time. The only chemical you should not add together is chlorine and muriatic acid. Wait at least 15 minutes there.

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Thank you, this was very helpful!

Follow the seasonal pool care process. Don't get all caught up in hat is done for larger bodies of water.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Ahh now I'm confused. I'll add the stabilizer to the skimmer in a sock. And wait how long until I slam the pool with chlorine?

You can begin the SLAM Process now while the stabilizer is dissolving.

Why do you think you need the SLAM Process with a fresh fill of water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're right. I assumed. Goodness there is a lot to learn.
So I can now test and adjust ph. wait 15 minutes if I needed to lower ph and then add enough bleach to raise the level to 4ppm. Correct?
And then they can swim right after I add the bleach?

Yup, go swim!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.