How long after power goes out before draining equipment?

Bvacchiano

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
I know this is a general question and depends on a lot but at 15 deg maybe a few hours? I mean tough to see inside all of the pieces too see if ice is forming. Maybe Intelliflow.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I would say minutes. Pump may be bit longer as the system is warm when running. But opening the filter release valve to drain the system would be good. I do not see a heater in your signature. I would not wait long for that. No idea on a chiller.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I say once you lose power get on with shutting things down and draining. You don’t know how long your power will be out for or how cold it will get. And you would rather be doing it in daylight if you have a choice.

Reactions: Newdude

Lilypad

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Nov 12, 2016
Plano, Texas
And having to do it all, possibly, in the middle of the night in a snowstorm at 0 degrees (us tonight). I decided
to drain the pad yesterday when I could see everything and do it carefully. I wasn't going to gamble on the power staying on through this. I'm not young and am not interested playing catch up in freezing cold weather! Hoping it was the right choice. No ice on pool surface yet but it's coming.

Reactions: wireform and Leebo
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread