How long after adding stabilizer can I swim?

thefloatqueen

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Supposed to be a scorcher today and I’m trying to get everything in balance early this morning before my swimming festivities. I need to add around 6 oz of dry stabilizer via the sock method and I’m wondering if I should do this before or after I swim? Does it matter after all the granules are dissolved (which they would be several hours before getting in the pool) or should I just wait until afterwards so the pump can run all day and distribute it? I know it is best to test CYA again 24-48 hours after adding stabilizer so I’m wondering if I should just wait until after I’m done? Yes, I’m overthinking this. Yes, I’m OCD. Thanks in advance!

Before, after, and during is fine.

I add CYA with the sock method while swimming. Let’s me get to the sock more often to squeeze it.
Okay, cool! I didn’t know if it would cause red eyes or itchy skin or anything. I know that’s mainly caused by high FC and/or pH but I wasn’t sure if there’s any undesirable effects of swimming right after adding CYA. Thank you for your fast response! I’ll probably go do it here in the next half hour or so and get it out of the way lol

I let mine soak for 24 hours and then swim it around and squeeze out the mush. At that point it makes quite the cloud but it dissipates pretty quick. I wouldn’t open my eyes underwater in the cloud. Just because. :) Other than that, if it is just mixing by itself, Have fun.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I let mine soak for 24 hours and then swim it around and squeeze out the mush. At that point it makes quite the cloud but it dissipates pretty quick. I wouldn’t open my eyes underwater in the cloud. Just because. :) Other than that, if it is just mixing by itself, Have fun.
I squeezed the sock (I only had 6 or 7 ounces of CYA in it) and brushed/swirled it around for a bit after it all dissolved. Still planning to swim and float around today so we’ll see how it goes. If it feels weird or hurts my eyes, the float queen will just float, LOL!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.