How long after adding chlorine to test?

silver02gt

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2010
Rural Southern Illinois
I know I've read this somewhere, but I've searched and searched and can't find it. How long after you add chlorine should you wait to test your FC level? I figure it needs some time to mix around the pool, but also can't wait too long before it is consumed by sun/algae. Thanks for your help?

silver02gt

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2010
Rural Southern Illinois
Talk about fast replies!!! Yeah, I'm in the middle, well more like the beginning, of turn your green pool into a sparkling oasis. So, I am shocking every 2-3 hours. After just 1 hour I only need to add like 1 qt or less, so I wait til it drops a little lower so I am adding a reasonable amount of bleach. I was more thinking about when I record for the overnight fc loss. Because it seems that when I add according to the pool calculator my fc tests higher than it should, I even remeasured my pool accounting for the lower than normal water level. So, we were thinking that the 10% liquid shock I have is a little stronger. Rambling again.

So if I shock before bed, then wait 1 hour to test, then retest before sunrise, that would be the proper way to perform the overnight fc loss test? Thanks again!!!

Other Threads of Interest