How late in the game can you do a change order

Taradefab0724

Nov 23, 2019
Orlando
So my pool is in final stages. They are on schedule to do the interior finish. My husband and I do not like the porcelain in our pool we chose a beautiful glass to put behind this waterfall we did and to save money we did porcelain everywhere else but we do not like the way they both look together and I'm not a fan of the porcelain we picked out. They're supposed to come and put in the finish next week but it's not in yet I really feel like in order to be happy with this pool that taking down the porcelain and adding glass is the right decision however I feel like it might be too late in the game. It's December and we are in Florida so we're not going to be using the pool until probably March or April plenty of time I just wondered if there was any sort of issue this late

Tara,

It is never too late as long as you have the money to pay for it... I can't see why the pool builder would care, as in theory, he is going to charge you for any wasted time, the labor to rip out the old stuff, and then for the new material and labor to install it..

But... the sooner you tell him, the better off you will be. The worst he can do is say no, and I doubt that will happen.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It doesnt matter why its bothering you, if its bothering you call your PB and find out your options. I would expect it to cost some $ to change, but the longer you wait the more $ it will cost.

It can be changed. It will cost ya more since they have to take out the 6x6 tile, clean up the left over the adhesive, then the new tile put on.

Saying that.............That blue tile is very pretty. With the spa tile being different it makes it stand out more like a statement wall or piece.

BUT what matters is how YOU feel about it. Do what makes you happy!

Now would be the time to change it before they plaster from a construction standpoint. Once they plaster it would be virtually impossible to change it and have it look right, unless they took the plaster out too. I'm sure you know that if it bothers you that much and you don't fix now, you won't be happy looking at it like that.

That comment wasn't necessary. If You don't like the glass we chose that's fine. It's quite striking in person. I've seen that blue porcelain done over and over maybe that's why I don't like it.
What matters is what you like. The pool is a huge investment and will last for many years, before you may want to consider “remodeling”. We are owner building and had a similar situation. We had all the travertine coping removed and it replaced with a different color. We had a setback and are now waiting for plaster, but it was worth it to us. Do you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What matters is what you like. The pool is a huge investment and will last for many years, before you may want to consider “remodeling”. We are owner building and had a similar situation. We had all the travertine coping removed and it replaced with a different color. We had a setback and are now waiting for plaster, but it was worth it to us. Do you!
What did you do with your coping? That's been another thorn. We did a cantilever in the wrong color that did not turn out well with our ivory travertine. Luckily it's just a matter of choosing the right paint color.

Luckily it's just a matter of choosing the right paint color.
Are you saying they are going to paint the coping? That is NOT a good idea. It will chip and wear over time and end up looking very bad. What @livinwell did was have the coping replaced. Paint on stone looks good right after it is done but over time it starts to wear. It is VERY hard (close to impossible) to remove paint from stone/concrete. Something to think about.

Kim:kim:

From a project management perspective changes are never good and late changes are the worst. This is because we define success as completed on spec, under budget, and on schedule. We like to think the spec is completed before the work starts. But if there was an error in the spec and you can't tolerate it then by all means change it so long as you can afford the cost and schedule impact. Things do happen, you'll want to enjoy your pool for decades. Get with the builder asap so you can work with him to minimize the impact on cost and schedule. This kind of change is not going to be easier to do later.

Good luck.

Chris

I don't think it looks bad at all I'm a fan of 6x6 tile and the glass looks good in that spot as an accent tile. Regardless it can be changed just be sure they are gentle I've seen coping damaged this way more times than I can count. It's also more labor to set the small tile especially after a removal so if you go forward dont let them work unsupervised you may cone home to a messy uneven install

Reactions: Jimrahbe
What did you do with your coping? That's been another thorn. We did a cantilever in the wrong color that did not turn out well with our ivory travertine. Luckily it's just a matter of choosing the right paint color.

It went to the construction dump. We were not able to reuse it and didn’t think it was worth the effort to try to clean it up for a “Craigslist” sale.

They also applied the wrong waterline tile as well, but we decided we could live with it and selected the new coping to help that case.

Are you saying they are going to paint the coping? That is NOT a good idea. It will chip and wear over time and end up looking very bad. What @livinwell did was have the coping replaced. Paint on stone looks good right after it is done but over time it starts to wear. It is VERY hard (close to impossible) to remove paint from stone/concrete. Something to think about.

Kim:kim:
Hi Kim our coping is concrete. It needed to be painted or it would just be a concrete color next to travertine. It's has to have paint on it..currently it's just primer. The paint will be the last step. The coping isn't worrying me. I just really hate the mix of the waterline tile..glass with porcelain.. I've had people come to my house and say that they would have done all glass that the porcelain throws the whole thing off and I've begun to agree with them I don't want to have to camouflage my pool with water I think it's best to just redo it now before the interior finish goes in.20191226_105904_HDR.jpg

You have talked to your pool builder, right? If I read your above post correctly, they are doing the plaster this week. Dont let them do the plaster if you are thinking of changing the tile.

Agree with above poster. Also painting coping is the last thing you want to do honestly. I'm surprised hes going down this road with you. A stain would be the best bet. Only epoxy will hold up long term on pool coping or an ecofinish product

You have talked to your pool builder, right? If I read your above post correctly, they are doing the plaster this week. Dont let them do the plaster if you are thinking of changing the tile.
He's going to get me a price remove the porcelain tile and replace it with the glass all around I honestly feel so relieved right now huge huge stress off my shoulders I just couldn't make myself love the porcelain

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.