How interchangeable are pool lights?

Trifive

Mar 17, 2017
Spring, TX
So, my current pool (in profile pic) was built by A&S and has Hayward LED's. They have been nothing but issues burning out. I am buying another house that has a pool and has the standard 120V white pool lights as it's a little older pool. I would love to put LED lights in it (not hayward!) and am curious as to how interchangeable they are and what colored LED's do you recommend?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
It is all driven by comparability with the light niches you have. You need to figure out the size and model number of the light niche.

All pool LED lights seem to have reliability issues. Lights that are not from the major pool equipment companies may do better...

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I don’t recommend LED lights anymore whenever people ask me about pools. An old school halogen will work flawlessly for a decade. LEDs can’t seem to go for more than 2 years (and that’s being generous) before the driver board fails (it’s almost always the driver board). With some manufacturers charging > $700 per LED and nothing more than a year warranty, that cost is way too high to bear. I get it that people want to have a “light show” every night or think that they are saving money by switching to an LED but is that really worth the cost? I’ve got better things to spend $700 on. A $50 halogen lamp is fine by me....I can live without the light show.

Reactions: HermanTX

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Both my Jandy led watercolors lasted 4 seasons no issues at all.