How interchangeable are pool lights?

Mar 17, 2017
Spring, TX
So, my current pool (in profile pic) was built by A&S and has Hayward LED's. They have been nothing but issues burning out. I am buying another house that has a pool and has the standard 120V white pool lights as it's a little older pool. I would love to put LED lights in it (not hayward!) and am curious as to how interchangeable they are and what colored LED's do you recommend?

It is all driven by comparability with the light niches you have. You need to figure out the size and model number of the light niche.

All pool LED lights seem to have reliability issues. Lights that are not from the major pool equipment companies may do better...

I don’t recommend LED lights anymore whenever people ask me about pools. An old school halogen will work flawlessly for a decade. LEDs can’t seem to go for more than 2 years (and that’s being generous) before the driver board fails (it’s almost always the driver board). With some manufacturers charging > $700 per LED and nothing more than a year warranty, that cost is way too high to bear. I get it that people want to have a “light show” every night or think that they are saving money by switching to an LED but is that really worth the cost? I’ve got better things to spend $700 on. A $50 halogen lamp is fine by me....I can live without the light show.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.