How does TFP method eliminate CCs?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
I’m currently slamming my pool. Fairly heavy use, FC fell too low, algae started, and CC 2+

it got me wondering - how are CC chloroamines eliminated under normal TFP operating procedure?

are target FC levels enough to continuously breakdown the chloramines? Is it assumed that enough water is splashed out to dilute the chloramines?

how are CC chloroamines eliminated under normal TFP operating procedure?
Splashout doesn't do it. In as nutshell, it's part of the sanitizing/oxidation process. While the free chlorine does the job or attacking organic materials and breaking them down, the chloramines are then in a state awaiting oxidation. That's where your summer sun comes into play. A spike in CCs is normal in the early part of the SLAM as that's when you are introducing chlorine in elevated levels for the first time causing a rapid reaction. It should all settle down soon as the free chlorine takes over and the CC are oxidized by the sun.

From the Pool School section:
CC - Combined Chlorine

Combined chlorine is an intermediate breakdown product created in the process of sanitizing the pool. CC causes the "chlorine" smell many people associate with chlorine pools. If CC is above 0.5ppm, you should SLAM your pool. CC indicates that there is something in the water that the FC is in the process of breaking down. In an outdoor pool, CC will normally stay at or near zero as long as you maintain an appropriate FC level and the pool gets some direct sunlight.

Potassium monopersulfate (a common non-chlorine shock) will show up on FAS-DPD chlorine tests as CC. There is a special reagent you can get to neutralize the potassium monopersulfate so you can get a true CC reading.

Tom,

After a SLAM is fully and succesfully completed, and if you maintain the pool per TFP recommendations, there aren't any CC's to get rid of.

Since there will be no algae breaking down (or other bio materials,) The proper FC will prevent any detectable CC's from ever forming in the first place.

Tom,

After a SLAM is fully and succesfully completed, and if you maintain the pool per TFP recommendations, there aren't any CC's to get rid of.

Since there will be no algae breaking down (or other bio materials,) The proper FC will prevent any detectable CC's from ever forming in the first place.

I thought there are CCs formed when the FC sanitises the pool? Eg bather contaminants, other organics, etc?

i was reading that commercial pools, which have higher bather loads, often continuously replace water to flush accumulated CCs, as well as occasional shutdowns for superchlorination.

I thought there are CCs formed when the FC sanitises the pool? Eg bather contaminants, other organics, etc?

i was reading that commercial pools, which have higher bather loads, often continuously replace water to flush accumulated CCs, as well as occasional shutdowns for superchlorination.
CCs are part of the normal process, but at a much lower level when a pool is properly balanced. That is why TFP considers a CC reading of 0.5 as good as zero. But when the CC are over 0.5, we begin to watch for signals of a struggling pool. For residential pools, there is no need to perform any extravagant measures like a total drain or anything - unless CYA or CH are excessive. Commercial applications have state, country, and country-specific regulations that drive some of their maintenance procedures. When following the TFP process, there is also no need to super-chlorinate as you might hear in other pool industry discussions. Simply balance in accordance with the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Tom,
the key word in my reply was "detectable" .

CC's in our pools are at a much lower levels than as in commercial pool or when trying to kill off algae, so to keep it simple, basically non-existent. 0 to .5 is acceptable CC's. Anything over that, and its time to investigate further so something doesn't flare up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.