How do you deal with being away from home (e.g. vacation)?

Jun 21, 2018
Danville, CA
Just checking with the group on the best ways to deal with being away from the pool for a week or two. My pool uses about 2 ppm per day during the summer and I normally only use liquid chlorine. So, my plan was to just bring the FC level up really high and let it fall down to normal levels during the time we are gone. Or possibly use trichlor for the trip (I have an adjustable built in dispenser that I never use). Or should I get someone to come by every few days and add a few ppm to keep the levels normal? I guess the advantage of that is the other maintenance that should be done (e.g. clean the skimmer). Considering it is fall, that may be a legitimate issue problem after a couple days. I don't know that a pool company would just do vacation coverage, so it would probably just be someone from the neighborhood. Thoughts?

A friend or neighbor you can trust to drop by every couple of days to check on things and add bleach is ideal. First you bump up the pool to slam level just before you leave. Then give the neighbor written instructions to make sure the skimmer stays clear and add bleach. You can save up some old bottles and pre-fill them to the desired level for a daily dose and just have them add a bottle in front of the return.

You could also bump the pool to slam level and cover it. Depending on the weather and how long you are gone you may or may not come home to a green pool. If you are able to draw from a main drain you can let the pool run on low speed while you are away. If you have automation controls or a timer set it to come on as normal, but keep the speed low. If not you can let the pump run 24/7 as long as you have a main drain to keep flow going in case the skimmer fills with leaves.

If your CYA is low enough you can use trichlor pucks if the pump will be on. If you don't want to keep the pump running trichlor won't do any good sitting in the dispenser. In a 25,000 gallon pool trichlor will raise CYA by 1.7 ppm per puck. So if you load up a puck feeder with 10 pucks and they all completely dissolve you will add approximately 17 ppm of CYA to the pool.

With your 40 CYA, you could get by with pucks for a couple of weeks.

Perhaps you could find a friendly soul who lives one town over from you and also practices TFP methods...? And for whom you could reciprocate when said neighbor (very occasionally) is out of town...?

I recently added a Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank. It runs off a digital timer on my equipment pad, and 30 mins. a day during my pump cycle keeps my FC right where I want it. I manually add acid 1x a week, and all is well. Entire tank/pump ran about $400, but it really simplified life for me.

We just left bottles of chlorine and 5 pucks in the skimmer and asked the neighbor to add one bottle a day and empty the skimmer of any debris. He did a great job and even got the robot going and used the net to take out leaves. More than we expected and we told him that he and his family could swim any time they wanted....

If you don't have an auto-fill from a sprinkler system or other way to top off the pool, having someone to come by to add water, check skimmers and toss in some liquid chlorine is the best way to go if possible.

Perhaps you could find a friendly soul who lives one town over from you and also practices TFP methods...? And for whom you could reciprocate when said neighbor (very occasionally) is out of town...?

This sounds like a great idea. If only there were some way to find other people who practice TFP methods. :confused:

I wonder if this nearby person is around during the Thanksgiving holiday...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This sounds like a great idea. If only there were some way to find other people who practice TFP methods. :confused:

I wonder if this nearby person is around during the Thanksgiving holiday...
Oof. T-day plans are still TBD, so I can’t commit to those dates, sorry. Maybe try Nextdoor?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.