How do pool stores test everything with that machine?

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
I've been back to a pool store 30 miles away, twice now this summer- for them to test my salt and also to buy it as we were out in my town. We've had tons of rain like, well- some people. I need to get a "salt meter" and be done with them, I have the large TFP test kit and do all other tests. They keep saying I need to increase my Alkalinity, and that's never what I showed at my house. I let them test and take their recommendations anyway.

My question is- how do those stores test for "everything"? I only seem them enter water in one device. Never multiple tests. Is it some sort of spectography or something?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
It is essentially test strips that get read by a photometer of some sort.

Why are you buying salt at a pool store? I get mine at Home Depot, water softener salt. Plain. $5 a bag.

Reactions: jennikz

cfclay

Apr 24, 2010
Lexington,Ky
It is essentially test strips that get read by a photometer of some sort.

Why are you buying salt at a pool store? I get mine at Home Depot, water softener salt. Plain. $5 a bag.
Haha, you sir- must live near a home depot. I... after already investing heavily in Ryobi Tools sold at Home Depot- 13 pieces to be exact- and that 100 mah electric riding mower..... I have moved to an area that is about 55 minutes away from home depot :(.
Seriously, Walmart and Lowes out in my town last month. Last week- they could have been in stock. Actually just checked Lowes- nope. Nada. Wonder why?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Whatever is plain. Do not get Iron protection or whatever.

It dissolves quick enough. Might take 15 minutes. Quicker if you brush it around.

Reactions: cfclay

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread