How do I sanitize pool & deck after someone with bad toe nail fungus was in it

PaulinSoFla

Jul 22, 2020
Sarasota Florida
We had a very thoughtless house guest with toe nail fungus (don't know what kind of organism) who was walking around our deck & swimming in our pool & lounging in the spa. Now my wife who swims everyday will not go into our pool. She is a germaphobe & says the idea of going into the pool is like bathing with those feet.

She has been on the internet & says she gets mixed messages about whether chlorine kills foot fungus or not. My local pool store said to "just shock it & I'll be fine, cuz chlorine kills everything" but I don't really have the confidence that they know much outside the basic training they got with the job. I thought I would perform the SLAM protocol & wash the decking with a strong bleach water. But wanted to ask here to see what the best approach is & how effective it is against this type of fungus.

The pool area is enclosed in a screened cage & gets full sun through most of the day with the exception of areas nearer to house which are in shade for part of day as sun is raising & setting.

the pool is about 14k gallons with a 800 gallon spillover spa.
pool surface is a quartz (I think its the Diamond brite brand super blue) with tile at water line
pool has several built in step & bench features with more tile at underwater edges

Deck is a stamped concrete painted with a cool deck type paint

I let my pool guy go at the end of last year as the pool was often cloudy & he just wasn't doing a good job, I have been learning how to take care of it myself but my current knowledge is still pretty novice. I just recently found this site & plan to learn & follow the protocols here.
Currently I am testing with 5 in 1 strips & keeping in the following ranges according to the strips
Ph 7.2-7.4
Free Chlorine 3
total alkalinity 80-120
Cya 30-50

I use a chlorine tablet feeder & liquid shock, when I found out about the contaminated feet I immediately added shock to bring the FC up to 5 ppm & switched the pump to always on.

Apparently this person has had a fungus problem for years, possibly decades & has never sought treatment or diagnosis of any kind. He does not consider it even worth thinking about even though his feet look & smell disgusting. Aside from being angry about the person who has no concern over their own health or any consideration over others. I just need to fix this problem & ensure my pool is safe for me & my wife.

She is a germaphobe & says the idea of going into the pool is like bathing with those feet
You don’t chlorinate your bath, And this is *exactly* why you chlorinate your pool. It’s fine. The toes, while unsightly and unsettling are massively overpowered by 14k gallons. You can stand there on the deck and morning pee into the pool and it’s like spitting in the ocean. (I don’t advise this, just making the point. The pool won’t care at all, but your neighbors might).

Now, science aside, that doesn’t appease the Mrs. so mix up a 50/50 bleach and water mix in a sprayer and coat the patio. Make sure she sees you give it 15 minutes and then hose it off real good. Tell her you extensively researched sterilization techniques due to the misfortunes.

Now, what really really bothers *me* about your post is that 2 self described germaphobes put their sterilization in the hands of guess strips. What is your exact FC level ? (army green is not a measurable level) What is your exact CYA to know how much it will buffer your FC ? (0-50 and 50-250 are not acceptable readings). How can you possibly know what your levels are to sleep well at night knowing your pool is sanitary ? Wait 45 seconds and watch the strips change color again. Through a pretty good variance. Which color was right ? 5 seconds, A minute and a half ?? Was any of them even close ?

Sorry for the somewhat abrupt but much needed wake up call...... but please wake up.

You need a TF-100 and pronto. Report back with reliable test results and we will guide you to not only being trouble free, but sterile. For any ooops’s that occur whether it be weather, parties, or an errant guest.

You can stand there on the deck and morning pee into the pool and it’s like spitting in the ocean. (I don’t advise this, just making the point. The pool won’t care at all, but your neighbors might).
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
@Newdude You won the internet today!!!

Reactions: mguzzy and Newdude
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
@Newdude You won the internet today!!!
well played.. but the 'Dude builds the internet.. he has it rigged so he wins everyday... 🤪

Paul.. we do things a bit different that pool stores.. well a LOT different. We do our own testing, we use known chemicals, we know our pool's chemistry intimately.. and most of all we use newer information than most pool stores know to base our maintenance protocols on. So read up here, get a test kit, and post your numbers instead of the pool store's numbers. And we will be happy to help.

In answer to your questions... you will be fine.. And if the thought of someone with mushrooms growing on their toes wigs you out, the next time he comes over throw him in the pasta sauce.

OK I ordered the tf-100+ kit today & will slam it when that arrives. Also been reading through the articles & downloaded the app, so will be learning & probably asking more questions as I get used to the new process. By the way, there is only one germaphobe here but I must satisfy her in order to enjoy the pool. Are there any articles or studies on the efficacy of chlorine on fungus that you know of? I'm sure it is fine, but telling her its fine is not the sort of thing that convinces, I'll need some data as back-up.

Thanks for your help.

OK I ordered the tf-100+ kit today & will slam it when that arrives. Also been reading through the articles & downloaded the app, so will be learning & probably asking more questions as I get used to the new process. By the way, there is only one germaphobe here but I must satisfy her in order to enjoy the pool. Are there any articles or studies on the efficacy of chlorine on fungus that you know of? I'm sure it is fine, but telling her its fine is not the sort of thing that convinces, I'll need some data as back-up.

Thanks for your help.
I would get a couple of empty chlorine bottles, fill 'em with water and then "dump the chlorine" in the pool to "shock" the fugus "away" ;)

When was the last time your wife handled money? How about ANYTHING in a hotel room? Been on an airplane before? Yeah...so, SO much worse than her perceived fear of a little fungus in the pool.

OK I ordered the tf-100+ kit today
Awesome !!
will slam it when that arrives
let the reliable test results guide you. It may be needed. It may not. :)
so will be learning & probably asking more questions as I get used to the new process.
We exist as a large group of fellow pool lovers to help other pool lovers. We get nothing but the ‘feels’ and good will. Also, this is a HUGE reason to trust us. We will use a combination of science and real world, real people experience to guide you to your own trouble free pool. Even when a fun guy shows up with fungii. Ask away with any thoughts/questions at any time
By the way, there is only one germaphobe here but I must satisfy her in order to enjoy the pool
Fair enough, and I feel ya !! Perform the deck spraying above and ‘shock’ the pool like @HeyEng said......based on your ‘extensive research’. *wink wink*.

Lastly, Throw out whatever you were taught/told by folks without the real world experience and/or financial incentives to see you fail. Read up on ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and we will guide you until you are your own pro.

Time and chlorine will kill the fungal pathogen. I would simply follow the SLAM procedure for 24-48 hours. If your wife wants extra reassurance, you can use a dose of Polyquat-60 algaecide (must be polyquat-60) as the active ingredient in that is actually a good fungicide. The startup dose will be more than enough and it will have little effect on your overall water chemistry.

FYI - If that nasty toe-fungus person used any of your towels, burn them! Fungal infections are most often spread by infected foot wear, communal showers and shared towels as the organisms thrive in damp, dark environments. That person, whoever he is, is gross and should not be invited back until he learns to take proper care of himself. I feel sad for anyone that has to share a dwelling with him....

Reactions: HeyEng

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.