How do I replace deck boards


LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
Not sure this is the right place for this question. I have some deck boards that have curled up at the end near the pool. I need to replace the curled up part. (See pic.) I also have boards I have to remove at least part of the board (need about 2 inch clearance to remove cap and only have 1/2 inch) in order to remove the top rail connector caps. (see pic) I cannot remove the entire board because another deck is built over part of the board covering up the screws on that end. How do you suggest I deal with this? There are two 2X6 joists supporting the deck boards about one foot from the end (can be seen in pic) One thought I had was to take a reciprocating saw and cut off the end of the deck board somewhere around the joists and then replace the cut off damaged portion. If I do that where should I cut? Are there better ways to deal with this?

As always thanks in advance



Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Cut it off somewhere between the two joists. Add another 2x6 between them to nail too?

Other Threads of Interest