How do I determine how much sand goes in my filter?

gcox

Mar 31, 2020
Alpharetta, GA
I'm about to change the sand in my filter and when I looked at the label, none of the sizes are marked. I have a wCooper Ranger and it does have what I think is a serian number of 68301 but none of the size indicators are marked and I haven't been able to get anyone at wCooper on the line.

I'm attaching a photo and any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 13
First, take a tape and measure around the filter to see the size.

Next, why are you changing the sand?? Sand doesn't wear out. Unless you have used a product like Floc or clarifier that may have caused the sand to solidify, it is generally unnessary to change it.

Read thru this thread to get more information.

Here is the manual for your filter, but it does not list the amount of sand.

Thanks! I've just always heard conventional wisdom is to replace the sand every 5 or 6 years. If this method prevents having to do that, I'm all for it.
Many times, "conventional wisdom" when it comes to pools are things that allowed pool companies to make more money. You will find that we base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. We generally recommend you order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and take care of things yourself.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

When we talk about "pool chemicals" most everything we use is generic stuff you can get at any big box store. Stick with us, we will have your pool sparkling clear for a lot less money.

Our Pool School is the basis of the system and I suggest you start with these:

So, welcome to TFP!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.