How Do I Clean My Chlorinator?

Hi everyone. First time poster here. I'm getting ready to begin my 10th season as a pool owner. Here's my issue. I have a basic inline chlorinator and I use 3" chlorine tabs in it. Usually, I go through 1 tab a day with the pump running 10 hours a day in the summer. I have found that the chlorinator needs annual maintenance to keep it clean on the inside, so I remove it from the system and soak it overnight with CLR, then hose it down well and re-install it before opening my pool for the season. That has kept the chlorinator clean and allowing chlorine to rinse into the pool like its supposed to. This year my little technique did not work. It is taking a very long time for my tabs to dissolve into the pool.

I'd like to get some thoughts on how to clean the chlorinator so it works properly. Right now, there is a scaley buildup on the inside of it. Is there a chemical I can use to rinse out the gunk? If I can't get the thing cleaned out, its going to cost me about $75 to get a new one and I know there is a way to clean it, but my web searches have been unfruitful thus far. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Tabs contain a binder that can build up in feeders. It tends to be a gummy residue. If it is scale, then it would be hard and brittle. Using too many tabs will oxidize the feeder and create a layer of oxidized plastic.

Can you determine which of these things might be occurring?

What are all of your chemical readings?

What is the make and model of your feeder?

JamesW - the buildup appears to be mostly gummy but its got a brittle component also. Seems to be a combination of both. Chlorine is zero and I haven't balanced the water yet so the other readings are off as well.

duraleigh - I think this is the info I am looking for. I'll stop by my pool store today and talk with them about it. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.