How confirm yourbpool is the right size

Are you trying to calculate the volume of water? If so, how long, wide, and deep is your pool?
HI and thanks for reaching out. We ordered a 75 linear foot free form pool. When we were told how to measure, the contractor said to take a 75 ft rope and make the shape and that the measurement would go through the center of the spa that overflows into the pool. Now that the pool is in I measured and it is about 60 LF measuring through the center of the spa. When I inquired they said to measure the inside line of the spa that actually takes away from the pool AND measure the exterior cure that goes outside the pool and add those together and that is my measurement???????? That doesn't make sense to me at all. The spa is to be 25 or in this case 26 LF and the Pool is 75 LF according to our contractm
Your thoughts? The :)

To calculate the volume of water in a free form pool is a little tricky. You are really getting more of an estimate than an exact number.

• The total length is 75 feet? This includes the spa?
  • What is the width at it's widest point and what is the width at it's narrowest?
  • What is the depth of the shallow end and what is the depth of the deep end?
Do you have a diagram of the pool you can attach?

Once you have a good estimate of water you can test your accuracy by watching the effects of adding chemicals. Over time you should be able to tweak your estimate to make it more accurate. Until then, just make sure you add chemicals slowly so that you don't add too much. Add about 1/4 or half as much as you think you need, wait a few hours and retest to see how much more you need.

HI and thanks for reaching out. We ordered a 75 linear foot free form pool. When we were told how to measure, the contractor said to take a 75 ft rope and make the shape and that the measurement would go through the center of the spa that overflows into the pool. Now that the pool is in I measured and it is about 60 LF measuring through the center of the spa. When I inquired they said to measure the inside line of the spa that actually takes away from the pool AND measure the exterior cure that goes outside the pool and add those together and that is my measurement???????? That doesn't make sense to me at all. The spa is to be 25 or in this case 26 LF and the Pool is 75 LF according to our contractm
Your thoughts? The :)
I was asking about Linear Feet....

If I understood you correctly, they just told you two different ways to measure the same thing. Take a 75" rope and start at the edge of the spa. Go around the pool until you come back to the spa. Go straight across the spa (as though it wasn't there) until both ends of the rope meet. If you can do that you have a 75" linear edge.

If I understand the problem correctly, he wants you to measure the perimeter of both the pool and the spa then add those together. But I have to admit I'm not 100% sure on the industry standard of measuring free form pools. Are you just trying to confirm that he delivered the pool to the proper spec in the contract?
pool.PNG

Reactions: DeeDeespool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I understood you correctly, they just told you two different ways to measure the same thing. Take a 75" rope and start at the edge of the spa. Go around the pool until you come back to the spa. Go straight across the spa (as though it wasn't there) until both ends of the rope meet. If you can do that you have a 75" linear edge.
Waterline correct? Not outside the coping????

If I understand the problem correctly, he wants you to measure the perimeter of both the pool and the spa then add those together. But I have to admit I'm not 100% sure on the industry standard of measuring free form pools. Are you just trying to confirm that he delivered the pool to the proper spec in the contract?
View attachment 106924
Hi! and thank you. Yes because the pool is about 23 long NOT 28'9" but it is 12 wide

View attachment 106924
Thank you, so the red line measures 68 and the Blue Line measures 21--so strange this new math :( They have agreed to add 4 feet! Everything is wonky. Thank so much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.