How come Im getting an algae line?

scott6824

Well-known member
Jun 7, 2010
52
K.... just down below shock level... Ive been aerating to get my ph up a bit..I took a 1/2" electric conduit and put in the return with a bungie cord tied to the deck.. last night.. went from 6.8 to a 7.2.. awesome.. just what i wanted doing again tonight..

here is my question....

after I do this Im getting a small green algae line on the side opposite the aerator.... its easy to scrub off... but its not all the way around the pool just about a 10' area directly accross ......im still at a 6 ppm on the FC and a .5 on the CC... cya 30.... pool is pretty clear of leaves.. I did this on saturday and with the high winds I thought that maybe it just ground up leaves .. but last night no leaves... any thoughts... day 9 of shocking.... thanks again scott
 

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
877
I'm not sure what you mean by "day nine of shocking." If your FC is 6, you are not shocking. If you are seeing algae, you need to shock per the instructions in pool school (there is an entry for just that). If you think it is possible it is something other than algae, do an overnight loss test (also explained in its own Pool School article). According to the chart, your shock level with a CYA of 30 is 12 FC.
 

257WbyMag

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
5,061
Denton, TX
crek31 is correct. Shocking your pool would mean that you brought your FC to 12 (assuming your CYA is 30), held it at 12 (not 11 or lower at any point), and did so until your FC loss overnight was 1 or less, your CC was 0.5 or less, and you saw clear water with no more algae anywhere. During this process, you must brush the surfaces and backwash your filter as indicated. Let up even for a bit and the algae will come back. Unless your pool is green and stagnant, this shouldn't take you more than a day or two to complete, and a green and stagnant pool that has a working filter would take less time to clear than 9 days when following this process.
 

scott6824

Well-known member
Jun 7, 2010
52
Ok ..I really shouldn't have said day nine of shocking ..but my first sentence said just getting below shock level....
Im confused.. shocking should take 2 days.. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ive read several posts on here of shocking for a week or more .... I lost about 2ppm a night prior to saturday for a week..scrubbing and vacuumming twice daily had a CC level of .5 ......added more bleach saturday morning to 21ppm ..... turned on my airator trick and came home on saturday evening and could see the ring.. I added no bleach since I was at 21......sunday morning no loss. .... monday morning no loss... so I figured start to let the FC level come down... that is where im at today... just when i make this fountain im getting a small green/brown ring where the water level is.. . I will of course check for a loss in the morning again...hope im making sense... thanks scott