How Can I Test My Pump’s Output?

Gilly McFinn

May 14, 2019
Deer Park
Sorry. I tried to look this up, but all I got was How to Calculate How Many GPH Your Pool Needs.

I’m trying to calculate the actual GPH of my new pump, and wondering if there are any simple tricks, other than buying a 100G tank, filling it, timing it, and multiplying, or some such.

In case you’re wondering, I’ve bought TWO automatic pool vacuums and neither one will move.
The first one was a cheap Intex. Sometimes they work, sometimes not so much, judging by the reviews.
But then I upgraded to decent creepy-crawly type and it’s just acting underpowered.
It’s supposed to work with at least 1600GPH. My pump is supposed to be 2400GPH, so I don’t know what’s going on.
Logic suggests it’s time to check that pump output before upgrading to a 3rd vacuum.
Thanks for your time!

Buy a robot vacuum that doesn't use your pump. They are FAR superior.

Intex pumps are simply the worst when it comes to having adequate power to manage your pool properly. A good pump manufacturer publishes a "pump curve" that demonstrates the pumps output. I have never seen Intex publish that (because they don't want you to know, perhaps)

Reactions: BowserB
Buy a robot vacuum that doesn't use your pump. They are FAR superior.

Intex pumps are simply the worst when it comes to having adequate power to manage your pool properly. A good pump manufacturer publishes a "pump curve" that demonstrates the pumps output. I have never seen Intex publish that (because they don't want you to know, perhaps)
That’s a great idea.
You wanna buy a kidney?

Hi Gilly,
unfortunately when it comes to an intex pump, Dave is right in that, at least that we are aware, Intex does not publish pump performance curve charts. If they did, then it would be easy to calculate the expected flow. Unless a person is a bonified fluid dynamics engineer, doing the calculation ones self will be a very daunting task. Im not sure there is anyone on TFP has the skill to do that, but who knows?

Other than installing a FLow Meter at the output of the pump, there isnt going to be an "easy" way of determing the actual GPH of your pump and Flow Meters arent inexpensive. They range in price of a bit over 100$ and up.

Well thank you everyone, but I don’t have an Intex pump. I’m not sure why everyone thinks I do.
In any case, it sounds like I’ll just have to fill a giant tub (which I forgot I had) with the output hose and time it.
I think my tub is about 40G, coincidentally, so if it’s full in one minute, it’s pumping 2400GPH.
Sorry to trouble you all. As I said, I completely forgot about that tub.
Thanks again.

Well thank you everyone, but I don’t have an Intex pump. I’m not sure why everyone thinks I do.

As Dave eluded to above you made two statements that made us assume you had an Intex. The 'GPH' statement was the first thing and then you said that you bought an Intex vacuum. That was the death blow. From there we were honed in on Intex. But now we're straight.

If you don't mind answering a few questions we can probably help figure out what's stopping your vacuums from operating correctly.

1) Can you post a few pictures of your plumbing?
2) Which make and model pump do you have?
3) What size is your plumbing?
4) Which filter do you have?
5) What is your clean filter pressure?

Let's start there and we'll see if there are more questions.

P.S. If your in Deer Park, Al; Howdy Neighbor. If your in one of the other hundreds of Deer Parks, :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.