How can I drain this?

Apr 14, 2016
Bellmawr NJ
Hi everyone! It's getting to be that time again! This is my first season opening the pool. What are some suggestions for draining the nastiness that's accumulated on the cover over the winter?
188e5f0c8ef08a4f4e4d0a557040ec90.jpg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Since that collected water is higher than the ground, all you have to do is put a hose in there, start a siphon and lay the other end down on the ground. It will empty on its own quickly.

Just don't suck on the hose end so much you get a mouth full of that stuff. Just enough to get it started into the hose and quickly lay it down low. FREE!

How to Drain the Water from Your Above Ground Pool - YouTube
Yip :flower:

To start the siphon put the hose in the water of the cover and pump water from your outdoor water spiqot for a few seconds and then disconnect it form the spigot quickly. Water should flow.

Hi everyone! It's getting to be that time again! This is my first season opening the pool. What are some suggestions for draining the nastiness that's accumulated on the cover over the winter?
188e5f0c8ef08a4f4e4d0a557040ec90.jpg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
You should really be draining/pumping that water off as it accumulates. I pump off my cover at every thaw.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I had an AGP, I left a hose in the pool all winter long.

I attached a brick to the end of the hose to keep it submerged. The hose then runs down the side of the pool and out.

But the trick is....have the hose drop to the ground then back up to a shepherds hook (or something to hold the hose up) before it runs out to the drainage area. The reason is, when the siphon is finished and it's sucking air, enough water stays in the raised portion of the hose. When you want to start the siphon again, drop the hose off the shepherds hook, water begins moving (starting the siphon). Remember to put it back on the hook before the water is drained so you can start it again next time.

You can put a big loop in the line when hanging it off the hook.

Another thing I recently bought for siphoning gas is called the Super Siphon. It has a brass ball in the end of it. You shake the end in the water and it moves water up the line - eventually starting the siphon. There is a Pittsburgh company that will sell any size hose. I bought 1/2" for siphoning gas from cans into my vehicles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.