Houston we have a problem

May 22, 2012
My nephew had quite the accident in my pool yesterday evening. Lets just say he had tummy problems and his bum responded to them (the net won't help if you know I mean). So, I poured enough clorox into the pool to get my fc up to 20 and I have been backwashing every hour or so. What else should I do? My water's clear but I'm not comfortable with knowing those "biologics" might still be in my water.

First thing is not to panic. You have done the right thing so far. I'd keep the FC at shock level for the next couple of days and keep the pump running. The chlorine will sanitize and oxidize everything that's in there. I also wouldn't worry about continuing to backwash so much. Maybe one more time, day after tomorrow as the FC is coming back down from shock level to make you, et.al. feel better.

Panic was last night when it happened - today is just disbelief that my SIL let her son swim when he was sick. One more question that I have is this - do I need to do anything to treat the sand in the filter now, or will the chlorine take care of that too? Thanks so much for your response.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.