Houston Texas; We have water in our pool!!!

I am SO in for this one!!! You are getting some great input on your equipment and seem to be learning a lot!!

I LOVE your finish picks! That waterline tile is really going to pop! What color grout are you thinking of using for it? White will make each tile pop out where a medium to darker gray will help them blend in together. They should have some grout sticks you can play with to help you see how each color grout will look.

@Mark Bevans so nice you are involved in this thread with your dear wife! It says you are in the industry. How so?

Kim:kim:
Didnt even think about the grout- I will ask about it- I'm thinking the gray, I like the idea of a continuous run of blue.

Reactions: kimkats
Plumbing is in, they came out and did some hand digging after the snowcapolypse that happened here in Texas. In other news, our pool builder wants to switch our quartz to a different company. We are choosing instead to switch to Wet Edge Signature Matrix (pebble). We are thinking the Laguna Blue. Also need to go in and choose detail tiles (strip on steps, benches, etc) and grout. Will post pics for @kimkats of color choices. I'm really liking the sparkly accent tiles, but might choose a stone type. We will see what is available.

Attachments

• pool plumbing1.jpg
    pool plumbing1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 29
  • pool plumbing 2.jpg
    pool plumbing 2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: HermanTX
Also a question about Salt Water- what do you do for the first 30 days when you can't use the SWCG? (assuming we switch to this system). Is it better to just pay for the chlorine system and convert after the fact? This seems expensive to me. If we change now, we wont have to pay for that part of the system. We are meeting with the builder in 2 weeks and will discuss all of this- he had said it was an easy switch and he's not at all prejudiced against it. I want to assure all warranties will remain. but the thought of buying, lugging, storing and dealing with all that chlorine in summer- no thanks.
Another question on pool finish- it seems all the warranties expect a monthly water test at a professional company. I think I will have a great testing kit and enough knowledge to balance this pool myself (We will read/watch/learn all info here before water gets into the pool). I suppose I better take photos and keep notes to validate proper chemistry. Has anybody had a plaster warranty voided due to this clause? I've seen it in two different companies warranties.
Should I start a new thread about this?

1). Just use plain old fashioned bleach/chlorine. No additives, colormax, splash less, scents, etc

2). Yes you will probably need to prove you kept up with chemistry if you submit a warranty claim. Go monthly to the store and get a free test. Regardless of their results (you will know WAY better than them)..... it will just so happen that ‘you have enough of that at home and will add it later’. You will tell them that you followed their advice and then just do the TFP thing. Save the pool tests to produce along with the ‘I DID what you told me so there’ excuse. :)

Reactions: colleenbevans
Start practicing your excuses now. ‘OMG I *just* got a shipment of *magic potion* yesterday from Amazon. I have like, 3 treatments worth at home’. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Newdude!! I hate to get a free test and recommendations that I may or may not follow. Maybe I will find a decent pool company here, I've seen recommendations to find a small company- Mom and Pop type place who might be more honest. I saw one post where the pool owner took a sample to different companies and got different results from each! He had spent hundreds in chemicals trying to balance his pool and finally started questioning the validity of the Pros test equipment. Then he found this forum.

I am thinking that getting the SWCG from Pentair (same company as other equipment) will make any warranty on the equipment side of things easier to enforce. The upgrade is quoted as $2,000 in our paperwork. Not sure if there is any credit given for equipment (chlorinator?) that we wont need. I saw a recommendation on the pentair unit- I'll have to find it and write it down.

Such a steep learning curve here.

The SWG is the greatest thing ever according to almost everyone who got one. Nothing is perfect for everybody, but it’s about as perfect as it can be. Having to startup without it for 30 days will help you love it more once you can use it.

The Mom and Pop stores, providing they are life-ers in the community will generally do you better than the 17 year old summer hire at a box chain store, But the little guy will still have an unreliable test and lots of overpriced baking soda to sell you. Test and treat yourself. Get their tests just to appease the warranty. Post your own reliable results here and we’ll walk you through the rest. Within a month or two you’ll be helping others too. ‘OMG if *I* can do it.... you can too!!’ Trust me. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also a question about Salt Water- what do you do for the first 30 days when you can't use the SWCG? (assuming we switch to this system). Is it better to just pay for the chlorine system and convert after the fact? This seems expensive to me. If we change now, we wont have to pay for that part of the system. We are meeting with the builder in 2 weeks and will discuss all of this- he had said it was an easy switch and he's not at all prejudiced against it. I want to assure all warranties will remain. but the thought of buying, lugging, storing and dealing with all that chlorine in summer- no thanks.
Another question on pool finish- it seems all the warranties expect a monthly water test at a professional company. I think I will have a great testing kit and enough knowledge to balance this pool myself (We will read/watch/learn all info here before water gets into the pool). I suppose I better take photos and keep notes to validate proper chemistry. Has anybody had a plaster warranty voided due to this clause? I've seen it in two different companies warranties.
Should I start a new thread about this?
Not sure where in TX you are but if possible go to Pinch A Penny Pool Store. These are privately owned stores (franchise model) so you are mainly dealing with the owner or family member. Buy their 2.5gal jug of Liquid Chlorine. You can refill it as needed. You will need to use LC in winter as well when your temperatures drop below 50 deg and the SWCG turns off. So get the mindset that you will use LC occasionally. They also do water testing. Just keep those print out results. You can feel good about buying LC and MA from them for the "free" water tests. They also sell leave nets, skimmer baskets if you are so inclined to buy local rather than via Amazon - all of these "needed" items I feel help the local community. If they do push other stuff, just say, you already have some at home and if you need more, you will come back - then ignore its not LC or MA.

Just ensure your PB (or the plaster company they subcontract to) is an Authorized Installer. Call Wet Edge or go on their website. You will be very pleased with the Wet Edge Product.

They also sell leave nets, skimmer baskets if you are so inclined to buy local rather than via Amazon
Floats...... floating flamingo thermometers..... pool brush pools. Plenty of things I don’t mind paying double for to support the local guy. Now, if it’s a big chain box store, well then yeah, I’ll just Amazon it.

Updates... we got gunite yesterday after weeks of caving in pool sides and mass mud slides. We had 4 city inspections and the inspector would not clear the pool until the gunite truck was out in front. They would dig out the mud, pile it on top of the adjacent area and that night there would be more caving.
In any case, the gunite guys really seemed to know what they were doing. There is a walk behind bobcat looking thing back this morning cleaning up cement chunks and taking off forms.
In other news, we picked out some edge tile for steps and benches. They had planned to just use our waterline tile but Colleen (me) had seen too much bling here to settle. We chose some glass tiles.
The salesperson said the waterline tile would not have grout? Would be butted up tight. Maybe they plan to use the plaster for grout there?
We have upgraded to wet edge pebble and changed to a SWCG (pentair). They also poured our elevated equipment pad (2 foot).
The upgrades are killing me.. except that edge tile, that didnt hurt at all ;);)
Photos of gunite and tile/pebble attached.

Attachments

• nrTY%yAGTJeLM0YaeR8UZQ.jpg
    nrTY%yAGTJeLM0YaeR8UZQ.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IyYbpUOzTF6WarAnFi81kg.jpg
    IyYbpUOzTF6WarAnFi81kg.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 66
  • gg0lQwzhRjW3ohKrwudmQA.jpg
    gg0lQwzhRjW3ohKrwudmQA.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: HermanTX
Gurrrrr on the slide/cave ins............how stressful that had to be to watch! Not to mention more work on them. Glad it is DONE!

That tile is SO pretty!!!!

Now lets talk about the waterline tile:
-make sure to dig through all of the boxes when it gets there. Some will be extra pretty. Use these on the part of the pool your eye falls onwhen you first walk out to see it. Then.....there will be some that are ugly. Hide these so they don't get used.

-NO plaster on the waterline tile for "grout"! Plaster is NOT meant to be out of the water. As for no grout...........that is going to REALLY depend on the skills of the installers. Here is what I would do.............email your PB about this concern so it is in writing that you are concerned about it.

-Make sure you are there on the day the tile is going to be installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look over their shoulders and ask THEM what they think about not using grout. Be ready with the color grout if/when they say it is needed. It would be very pretty if it is not needed so all the tiles flow together. If they do want it then you can go white to make each tile pop out or go medium gray to help them blend in together. They should have grout sticks for you to play with to see what color you like the best.

SWEET!!! That looks great! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it to help slow down the curing.

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Gurrrrr on the slide/cave ins............how stressful that had to be to watch! Not to mention more work on them. Glad it is DONE!

That tile is SO pretty!!!!

Now lets talk about the waterline tile:
-make sure to dig through all of the boxes when it gets there. Some will be extra pretty. Use these on the part of the pool your eye falls onwhen you first walk out to see it. Then.....there will be some that are ugly. Hide these so they don't get used.

-NO plaster on the waterline tile for "grout"! Plaster is NOT meant to be out of the water. As for no grout...........that is going to REALLY depend on the skills of the installers. Here is what I would do.............email your PB about this concern so it is in writing that you are concerned about it.

-Make sure you are there on the day the tile is going to be installed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look over their shoulders and ask THEM what they think about not using grout. Be ready with the color grout if/when they say it is needed. It would be very pretty if it is not needed so all the tiles flow together. If they do want it then you can go white to make each tile pop out or go medium gray to help them blend in together. They should have grout sticks for you to play with to see what color you like the best.

SWEET!!! That looks great! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it to help slow down the curing.

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Thank you @kimkats ! I have been waiting for that set of links! Honestly, I had already started reading some. Thank you for your continued guidance!

Reactions: kimkats
Finally got waterline tile and coping today. Edge tiles on steps and benches. I'll take better pics tomorrow if its sunny. These tile guys are truly talented!

Attachments

• tile and travertine.jpg
    tile and travertine.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 66
  • eus%NQkDTtmW23a4IkILDA.jpg
    eus%NQkDTtmW23a4IkILDA.jpg
    830.5 KB · Views: 66
  • znm9NUoAQ6i%EO3AdVf82A.jpg
    znm9NUoAQ6i%EO3AdVf82A.jpg
    753.1 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: NWS and Newdude
Lucky! I still have two more weeks for tile and coping. I feel you on the upgrades. We upgraded three levels for the water line tile. We also added a roof extension of the new patio.

How much did it cost to add the edge tile?

Lucky! I still have two more weeks for tile and coping. I feel you on the upgrades. We upgraded three levels for the water line tile. We also added a roof extension of the new patio.

How much did it cost to add the edge tile?
$500 bucks- worth every penny! Its also in the hot tub

Attachments

• +%cSc0zIQvyC4vVG9Zui8g.jpg
    +%cSc0zIQvyC4vVG9Zui8g.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 44

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.