Houston Pool Owner’s Question

Jun 29, 2011
Texas
What have you found the predominant wind directions to be? And any suggested skimmer locations based on your experience?

according to historical weather sites, it’s from the south, but in general it always seems like fronts come from the west.

If you’re putting in only 1 skimmer, then you‘ll want to account for the most common wind direction. My long rectangular pool roughly faces north / south, and I more commonly find surface debris on the north end (meaning from a south wind).

I was told to put a beach ball in your yard and observe where the winds blow it and that should determine where you should have your skimmers. Prolly should be done quite a few times to get an overall idea of what the prevailing winds are in your area.

I was told to put a beach ball in your yard and observe where the winds blow it and that should determine where you should have your skimmers. Prolly should be done quite a few times to get an overall idea of what the prevailing winds are in your area.

That’s a great idea, and may have already given me my answer. My daughter had a large inflated play ball for ages in the yard and I recall always moving it when mowing the lawn. It was usually in two or three spots.

thanks.

Reactions: Jbrillo
We're in old Katy, and I can confirm the prevailing wind here is out of the south. We have a skimmer at the north end and one kindof at the southeast. I clean out skimmer socks pretty much daily, and generally speaking the one on the north end collects twice as much--maybe more--as the other. Last couple weeks during junebug season, I might find half a dozen junebugs in the southeast skimmer and 15-20 in the north end. Pool floats left in the pool ALWAYS drift to the north end of the pool. Wax Myrtle leaves, flying ants after a storm, pretty much everything that lands in the pool and floats, drifts to the north end. Of course there is occasional north wind and west wind, so after the nearly constant south wind loosens wax myrtle leaves, the wind will shift to blow them off and into the pool. If possible here, the ideal locations for skimmers would be north and south. Unfortunately we opted for the stupid, useless "sun shelf" at the south end, so there is no place for a skimmer there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.