Houston Freeze

rking3

Jan 31, 2017
Houston
So this is a story of my pool opening following the Houston Freeze.
My pool has been inoperable since a few days before the Houston Freeze. Part of problem was due to the freeze, but the initial problem and cause is still unknown.
On Friday Feb 12th, My less than a year old VS Hayward pump gave me an error code "Check System Processor" and it was not functioning. Since it was Friday evening, I took no action and then on Saturday the pump had 0 power, not enough enough for the display to light up.
Then the freeze happens and I couldn't take action even if I wanted to, nothing in Texas was open.
So we survived the week and began to (Try to) get back to normal life. Tuesday March 30th I finally got an electrician to come out and check the 240 connection and diagnose the problem (my pool is still blue/clear on this day). He finds an underground wire that's been cut (Still don't know how) and gets the pool pump back up and running. Unfortunately, as we turn the pool back on, we find a Jandy valve and some 2" PVC are cracked and water is flying everywhere (Damage from the freeze).
For the next 2 weeks, I wait on a Jandy valve. I called multiple pool companies and no one has any in stock. I was told they were supposed to ship by now but also being told they have no real ETA.
Monday April 5th, I go back to my pool equipment to see which valve is actually broken, lucky for me I realize its only the valve controlling my waterfall, which is not needed (Wish I had looked harder weeks ago). By this time my pool is green which I was I became desperate to get a fix. So my pool company removes the value, replaces some 2" PVC and bypasses the waterfall (once they get more Jandy valves in stock I can get the waterfall back up and running but it is not necessary today).
So on Tuesday April 6th is the first day my pool is able to run since Feb 12th.
I throw in the last bag of shock I have and head to the pool store to load up on chemicals (because I had none)

IMG_3614.jpg

Tuesday April 6th
I ended up cleaning the filter twice this day. Once in the afternoon and once in the early evening. I think I added a total of 5lbs of shock to the water this day. Once my pool guy got it up and running, he said "your pond is running". But he also said that it is possible to have it back to blue/clear by the weekend. So this became my goal.
That evening I also used 2lbs of green to clean and scrubbed the walls, with 2lb of shock following the green to clean.

IMG_3595.jpgIMG_3596.jpg

Wednesday April 7th
Progress was promising for less than 24hrs of filtering. I ended up changing the filter 3 times this day. Once in the morning, once in the afternoon and once in the early evening. I added 1lb of shock after each cleaning and 12 cups of cellulose fiber. I also used some clear aid randomly throughout the day. I began to realize that this problem was too big for any amount of clear aid.
IMG_3604.jpgIMG_3605.jpg

Thursday April 8th
I continued to see results and made my first mistake. First thing in the morning I backwashed instead of cleaning the filter and used my robot cleaner with no shocking. I think backwashing did nothing and only delayed better results, and with no shock in the morning, since the pool was not holding chlorine, I think this also delayed my results. But backwashed, more cellulose fiber, robot vacuum (s300i) and waited. Results were very minimal for the next 24 hours. But I cleaned the filter twice that day (later in the day than previous), and got back to the same routine as the day before.

IMG_3609.jpg

Friday April 9th
Better than the day before but after so much work, I was honestly hoping for better results. But, same routine. Cleaned the filter 3 times that day, added shock and cellulose fiber. I kept the robot out of the water and did no more backwashing. By this time I was running out of shock and cellulose fiber.
This evening I also used 2 more lbs of green to clean and scrubbed the walls and floor. I also used 2 lb of shock following the green to clean.

IMG_3617.jpgIMG_3616.jpgIMG_3618.jpg

Saturday April 10th
Dramatic difference, I still could not see the pool drains but I could tell it was going to be visible soon. The pool was still a bit hazy/cloudy but the blue was more dominant than green. I could see the bottom in the shallow end as well as my light and the return jets. Walls looked good and the bottom that I could see also looked good. Followed the same procedure, cleaned the filter 3 times, added shock and cellulose fiber after each time. Filter continued to pick up plenty of dirt.
Saturday I also had the water tested. I ended up adding 5lbs of alkalinity up and 2 additional lbs of shock.

Sunday April 11th
The drains are visible! Never been so happy to see the pool drains. Such a long week. But, there is still some slight cloudiness. Its because its still not holding chlorine. So I had the water tested again, ended up adding 1 gallon of liquid conditioner/stabilizer and more shock. I only cleaned the filter twice but it was still dirty each time.

I unfortunately forgot to snap photos for Friday and Saturday.
Now it is Monday and the pool is crystal clear and sparkling blue.
I just wanted to share my story and hope it potentially entertains and possible helps someone else.
Don't give up on your pools. I remember I once I went on a vacation and the pool turned green (not as bad as this), and my neighbor told me he thought my pool was done, impossible to come back. And in a couple days (not as much work as this) it was sparkling again.
IMG_3654.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.