House water to pool equipment?

Jul 9, 2017
Temecula CA
My wife runs a hose to occasional top off the pool due to normal water loss. It would be nice to have a float valve to keep it filled, but that would require a lot of concrete work.

I have a 1/2" house water line which runs behind the equipment. I am thinking about a one way valve and an on/off valve to intercept a 2" pool line. She could then turn on and off the valve to add water instead of having to run the hose - the things I do to make her life easier ;)

Would there be an issue doing this? Also, does it matter if it is before or after the pool pump?

If I understand your design, you want to add water to a return line that enters the pool at a outlet in the pool at a depth of 2-3ft. then your water pressure has to be higher than the pump pressure for it to feed into the stream. That is, unless the pump is off. However you still need sufficient water pressure to overcome the gradient pressure at your outlet depth. Let me know if I understand it or may make a drawing or post a picture of your equipment pad and water line. Do you have a vertical pipe where your return is going to pool?

This will work fine. I have essentially the same setup as you are proposing and have experiences no issues. I will add that I have a check valve (really the Flo-Vis flow meter) after my pump so that fill water is forced into going through the pool returns and not backing up through the skimmers if the filler is activated when the pump is off.

That said, I don't see any issues with the water flowing out of the skimmers but it may push some debris into the pool.

My setup utilizes a irrigation solenoid valve that I have on a separate zone so that I can control it from my phone.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.