Hotspot FPH or indoor heat pump.

hg901

Apr 7, 2020
Memphis
For whatever weird reason, my pool equipment is in the basement of my house, right next to my heating and air system. Using my gas fired pool heater (also located in the basement) is annoying because it heats up my finished basement) and it's loud. I have been interested in the FPH unit, but Hotspot FPH sales says it needs to be installed next to the HVAC outside unit. That would require a lot of PVC pool piping through the finished part of the basement. On the other hand, if we could put the FPH unit in the basement between the HVAC unit and pool heater, we would only need to extend the refrigerant line about 10 feet of tubing since the air handler and pool equipment are right next to each other in the basement. Does anyone know why I couldn't install it in the basement? Hotspot guys didn't really give me an answer. Money isn't my biggest concern -- keeping my house cool is the bigger struggle.

If hotspot is not an option, my alternative plan is to get a heat pump pool heater and tie in the ductwork for the HVAC so that the basement and first floor is being cooled when the pool heater is on. My HVAC contractor is great and willing to help with either plan.

If it makes any difference, I am in Memphis in a 100 year old 10000 sq ft foot home with no insulation. The 13,000 gallon pool is in a shady section of the yard and our family likes it warm

AC systems consist of two units - the condenser/compressor and the air handler. The condenser/compressor is the outside unit that throws off the waste heat and the refrigerant line carries the cold refrigerant to the air handler.

The Hotspot FPH needs to be colocated with the condenser/compressor outside where it scavenges the waste heat.

AC systems consist of two units - the condenser/compressor and the air handler. The condenser/compressor is the outside unit that throws off the waste heat and the refrigerant line carries the cold refrigerant to the air handler.

The Hotspot FPH needs to be colocated with the condenser/compressor outside where it scavenges the waste heat.
Okay. I was using the refrigerant line terminology wrong.

So is there any reason the FPH can't be located in the basement on route to the condensor/compressor? What's magical about being outside.

Is that line not the copper tubing wrapped in foam that exits my air handler and goes to the outside condensor/compressor? It passes right over my pool equipment in the basement. It seems like that copper run of 5 feet in each direction would be shorter than anywhere outside.

Is that line not the copper tubing wrapped in foam that exits my air handler and goes to the outside condensor/compressor? It passes right over my pool equipment in the basement. It seems like that copper run of 5 feet in each direction would be shorter than anywhere outside.

See the picture above.

The HEAT RECOVERY VALVE is patched in between the compressor, condenser and evaporator in the AC unit and reroutes the refrigerant to the FPH Heat Exchanger.

You can't do that at the refrigerant line between the condenser and the air handler.

See the picture above.

The HEAT RECOVERY VALVE is patched in between the compressor, condenser and evaporator in the AC unit and reroutes the refrigerant to the FPH Heat Exchanger.

You can't do that at the refrigerant line between the condenser and the air handler.
ah! I get it now. Okay, back to plan b of the heat pump tied in with the air ducts. At least the house will get cooler!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.