Hot tub

Do tell.....
Maybe you should make the maufacturer aware that adding chlorine and MA will also add salt to the water. And ask them to explain WHY using a SWG causes damage - apparently enough for them to void the warranty.
It says it in the manual.

I apparently lost at hot tubbin. :mrgreen: Came home to check the FC and its cloudy n like looks like Mr. Bubbles farted in it. :eek: FC 0 CC 2. Looks like I'll be purging it tomorrow after work. I have plants to replace today n can't get to it. I gotta figure out how to dump it. I have a sump pump or if there is an easier way.

Hot tub 1... Casey 0!

One thing to remember is that stuff that would normally not have an impact in a multi-thousand gallon pool, will in a small hot tub.

You should really shower / rinse off before using your hot tub (I admit, I am not one to do this if I have spent the day inside, working at my desk, but this is a case of do what I say not what I do). Not only does it remove sweat an other organic stuff, but it removes personal hygiene products that can cause foaming.

Also, your washing machine really does not go that great a job of removing detergent from your clothes. If you wash your bathing suit on a regular basis, every time you use it after you wash it, you are putting detergent into your tub. This advice I do follow. We have hot tub bathing suits that we do not wash frequently that we just for just the hot tub. Granted if it is summer time and we are in the pool and then want to go into the hot tub I am not going to change, but for hot tub only times, it is a dedicated hot tub bathing suit. (and my neighbors can see my tub if they really try, so no natural tubbing around here, plus we have kids)

Reactions: Mdragger88 and DanF
You should really shower / rinse off before using your hot tub
*being mindful of the residual soap / shampoo / conditioner you'll bring with you.
Also, your washing machine really does not go that great a job of removing detergent from your clothes. If you wash your bathing suit on a regular basis, every time you use it after you wash it, you are putting detergent into your tub
Also +1. After I got the girls to not dunk their heads to keep down on foaming (thick hair that kept loads of residuals), I still noticed a big difference between their full suits and my trunks. Alot of what we were adding was 'clean' and sanitary, but it contributed to the DudeFam soup we were boiling.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Did someone said Soup?????

frog soup GIF by Kiddinx

So this thing is going to need babysat every single day.
I've had mine running six weeks and pretty much test it twice daily (2 or 3 people get in it for 15-20 minutes most days). Maybe two or three times I've dosed it without testing because I've felt confident in how much chlorine (bleach) I was going to need to add.

You have an ozone generator that is going to burn off your FC during filter cycles so like me, will probably be adding bleach twice daily. If you monitor CC you will know when it's getting away from you and either dose it with more bleach or some MPS. I don't know what components of the MPS stay in the water but best guess is once the oxidizer component is spent you end up with just TDS.

My better half has taken a water sample to our local pool store once about a week ago, and a second sample is going tonight after work. Reason was my chemical test kits are old (2005'ish) and the ALK readings didn't jive, and the chemicals for CH went bad --- I wanted to check and adjust these because I was starting to see foam. Second sample is to see if the adjustments I've made are correct.

If you work through stuff, mostly keeping FC commensurate with the CYA levels you will find that there's time to learn and deal with the rest as you go. Bottom line is that if FC is over the minimum and CC is .5 or below you should be able to get in. After you're done, just assume that FC is lower and if you don't dose then CC will rise. CC rise is the one you want to keep an eye on.

You only have a (potential) emergency worthy of purging if you have kept CHL above minimum at all times and CC is not manageable without having to repeatedly shocking it.

Another keep an eye on thing is with jets and air pump you will drive your PH up. When you do it's another learning curve, but once you get the hang of stuff it really does get easier as time goes on. Just post and many will jump in to help :)

Reactions: Casey
Did the purge n I'm draining now. I only used the tub once n now I see why you should purge a brand new tub. These things don't come clean!

Attachments

• 20220520_153255.jpg
    20220520_153255.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220520_153327.jpg
    20220520_153327.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220520_153432.jpg
    20220520_153432.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Newdude
Here's where it says the use of a SWG will void the warranty. The Tub is clean n now filling up.

Attachments

• 20220520_181936.jpg
    20220520_181936.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 16
Did the purge n I'm draining now.
Just the one, or did you run until you got a clean cycle ? Yours being new, it's likely there wasn't chunks of crud in there, but mine going so long had many purges worth of ooze to get out. Matter of fact it took 2 purges just to start to loosen the crud.

It sounds too late so no biggie, but next time plan on multiple purges just to be sure You use a half dose on each subsequent round until you get a clean one. Then you're done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just the one, or did you run until you got a clean cycle ? Yours being new, it's likely there wasn't chunks of crud in there, but mine going so long had many purges worth of ooze to get out. Matter of fact it took 2 purges just to start to loosen the crud.

It sounds too late so no biggie, but next time plan on multiple purges just to be sure You use a half dose on each subsequent round until you get a clean one. Then you're done.
I only did one. I didnt think I needed 2, 3 or more. I had crud which i posted pics of but it didnt fill the whole top of the tub surface with gunky funk. Just a little bit. More than i thought I'd get so I'm pretty grossed out. LOL But I remember standing in front of a :poop: cell n said to myself I've been in worse situations than this dirty hot tub. :mrgreen:

I didnt think I needed 2, 3 or more
We don't think around here, we know. ;)
(Whattayaneworsomethin?)
Next time run cycles until you get a clear one. It's likely that was all you had on a fresh tub. It will be 6 months or so when it's time to drain and if you use it as much as you're planning to, it may take a few rounds.

We don't think around here, we know. ;)
(Whattayaneworsomethin?)
Next time run cycles until you get a clear one. It's likely that was all you had on a fresh tub. It will be 6 months or so when it's time to drain and if you use it as much as you're planning to, it may take a few rounds.
I'll keep that in mind.

Reactions: Newdude
Here's where it says the use of a SWG will void the warranty. The Tub is clean n now filling up.
I never doubted that the manufacturer said it, I'm just wondering why.
Manufacturers and PBs have said some "odd" stuff over the years (and continue to do so), so it's no real surprise this manufacturer doesn't seem to understand that any pool/spa/hottub that uses chlorine is a salt water pool/spa/hottub. They probably think it will "corrode" the plastic/acrylic. :laughblue:

Maybe one of our standalone hot tub gurus will chime in on what they think the manufacturers reasoning is.

In an case, you've done your first Ahhsome purge and can enjoy your hot tub! :whoot:

Hi Casey: Good work on getting the purge completed. Based on the images it would appear that you did flush some bio-contaminants from the plumbing and jets. Even though the hot tub is new, biofilms are present and colonizing. Every single manufactured hot tub needs to have the plumbing purged upon delivery and set-up. Most dealers don’t do this or make you aware of this. They are busy people and will leave this up to you to complete once you start noticing the floaters or find out through beneficial forums like TFP. It is great that the manufacturer of your hot tub, Nordic, included the purge product with your hot tub. More hot tub manufacturers should also own up to the fact that this is a serious issue and it is information that should be made available to all hot tub buyers. Casey, now you MUST learn the basics of water testing and ongoing maintenance. It is not difficult or time-consuming. You are off on a great start. Now, keep up the maintenance and begin to enjoy the many benefits of soaking in crystal clear jetted hot water. Enjoy yourself!

Last edited:
The reason may be what the heater is made of - some are more resistant to salt than others- there are a few threads here about spa heater types.
I personally looked up the cost & a source of a replacement heater incase mine were to die prematurely due to the salt & decided it was worth the gamble. My warranty doesn’t exclude salt or swg’s but it’s not a very long warranty either. I kinda felt like after year two I was gonna be on my own anyway so at least my life would be easier w/ a swg. In general though low ph will damage a heater much faster than a low concentration of salt would. This is easy to accomplish with a steady diet of acidic dichlor.
Hot springs & others offer swg’s & their shells are made the same way as those who prohibit swg’s.
I also noticed the nordic manual makes no mention of cya at all - most don’t. I guess they expect you to only rarely use it & then drain it every 3 months or less. Most folks who come here with spa problems have only had their tub a month or two & have already had to drain because they couldn’t clear it up even though they did everything the manual told them to.

Reactions: Casey
I handed a big dose of liquid chlorine the day it got cloudy before the purge. I had to add it 2xs n when I opened it yesterday before the purge, the water clarity looked a lot better. It still had some hazing but looked better. I'm definitely going to feed it today after work after I feed the dogs. Then I'll be checking the pool too. The pool has been taking care of itself. I just test it like 2-3 times a week n pull the cover daily n run the robot. I need to look into a handheld vacuum for this little tub.

I don’t seem to ever need to vacuum my tub- i just have a little aquarium net to get stuff out that may blow in while I’m using it.
I do use a scum bug - it has 2 purposes, the first is that i use it to squeeze water on to each foot before putting it in the tub while standing on the steps. Kinda like when i had a little pool with no deck & we had a foot rinsing bucket. Its a rule to do this at my house so everyone just does it now.
It then floats around with me while I soak incase I have leftover lotion or something on (sometimes i use creamy body wash).
I remove it, squeeze it out outside of the tub, & place it in the cup holder when I get out.
Sometimes I use it like a sponge to grab tiny grit from the footwell of the tub.
When i purge & drain stuff blows in & ends up in the bottom so I use microfiber rags to soak up the last bit of water/debris.

I had an oops. I overdid the FC. Its 15ppm. I don't think itll stick around long because it's hot water. I kept the cover open since 3pm. I only added a cup of old 10% chlorine from 2020. It's still pretty potent. You guys think it'll be ok?

I had an oops. I overdid the FC. Its 15ppm. I don't think itll stick around long because it's hot water. I kept the cover open since 3pm. I only added a cup of old 10% chlorine from 2020. It's still pretty potent. You guys think it'll be ok?
Did u add cya yet?
If so u are only a touch above slam level for 30ppm cya.
If not- add it now- it dissolves super fast in the hot water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.