Hot Tub Rash Cured

RangerKen

Feb 7, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
I want to thank Joyfulnoise for finding the cause of my hot tub itch/rash for the last nine months. My pool supplier here in Jacksonville recommended I stop using Diclor and switch to Potassium Monopersulfate and use the Nature 2 stick for my 500 gallon hot tub. This is when the rash began, and a Dr visit had me on antibiotics.I quit using the tub in the summer, did 2 purges with awesome, then back with a new Nature 2 and more of the oxidizer, rash comes back, more antibiotics, another trip to check the water. They tell me only use the Oxidizer, don't worry about the chlorine level, the Nature 2 stick will keep the water clean. The Rash goes ballistic, I go to a dermatologist and get a steroid shot in the Rear, get more steroid cream, avoid the hot tub for 2 weeks and am cured. She said I either had dirty water or was allergic to the chemicals. I used diclor for 15 years, I never had a problem. But I had discontinued using diclor. I then researched this site and found a post from Joyful about the effectiveness of the silver sticks, so I took his advice. I drained the tub, refilled, shocked, began using Diclor only again, got the chlorine and Ph Levels set, got rid of the silver stick and no freaking rash or itching problems ever since. I cannot imagine how dirty my water must have been when I stopped using diclor and switched over to magic and fairy dust.

Glad it worked out for you in the end (no pun intended).

Honestly, you’re lucky it was only a skin rash (it’s usually caused by pseudomonas bacteria). Water fouled with bacteria and biofilms in the pipes can easily harbor some very nasty pathogens (like Legionella ) that can lead to very serious and life threatening issues. Group A streptococcus (GSA) bacteria can cause necrotizing fasciitis (“flesh eating bacteria”) which, if left untreated or misdiagnosed, can cause sepsis and death. Hot tubs keep water at the “Goldilocks” temperature zone for bacterial growth so you have to be exceptionally careful about keeping the tub clean and sanitary. The advice that pool store gave you was borderline negligent and dangerous. MPS/Silver sanitizers have very strict limits and protocols for their use and none of the product manufacturers I’ve seen say not to use dichlor. Most of the product labels instruct the user to shock the hot tub weekly in addition to using their mineral cartridges.

I’m glad you’re healthy again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.