Hot Tub purchase advice

ramsfan

Mar 24, 2015
MO
Hello, we own a pool, and are interested in adding a hot tub. We have a nice covered area to put one in.

I have to be honest, I feel like I am pretty decent at sorting out information and making decisions, but hot tubs seem to be one of the most confusing things there are. Tons of brands, features, etc...

Can anyone please help me short circuit the process by narrowing down to a handful of quality brands. I am most interested in quality components, quality construction, ease of maintenance, and then style.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thank you!

pooldv

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
Hot Spring is one of the top brands. They make 3 or 4 different lines from less expensive to more expensive. We bought a Freeflow tub about 4 years ago and it has been great. Freeflow is a brand under the Watkins umbrella who also owns Hot Spring. It is a value brand without a lot of bells and whistles. But, we are most interested in sitting in hot water. And it does that very well.

Swampwoman

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 27, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Fwiw, I've been running an ancient, sport-sized Jacuzzi that I believe is now hovering around 20 years.

I did have to replace the 2 HP pump at 17 years...$800 installer price, much cheaper DIY - then the capacitor...cheap part. I also had to replace a leaking light last year...at about $150 labor included. And that's been it during my ownership. Which to my mind, means it was decently made ;)

I keep half thinking about getting a new one, but don't need anything fancier than what I have...so I just keep running this one and it seems to agree ;)

twodogs02

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2012
Hotsprings, Sundance, Marquis that is what I would consider. All depends on your budget as each of those mfg's make very high end to good base models.

Full disclosure I'm a Sundance 880 owner, bought it used.

dgknight3

Bronze Supporter
Sep 1, 2016
Grand Prairie TX
Can't argue with any mentioned above from my own research. We went with HotSprings (Aria) and really like it. With top 5 brands , best thing is to wet test models and find the layout you and significant other really like.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
you're close to OKC, look at these guys, I love mine.. its old school commercial hot tubs that are basic, no motherboard to fail, comes with the GFCI built in, they are beasts...

https://www.countryleisuremfg.com/hot-tubs/

the regeneration is close to the design I have now, I run mine for 5 years straight, I did have to replace a heat dial the second year

I hope this helps :)

xyz

Gold Supporter
Sep 8, 2016
Escondido/CA
Get as large a hot tub as you can stand. Small ones can get a little too close when you get multiple people. To me, what is sold as a 10 person spa is really a 6 person.

Also, any thought to adding an attached Spa? On where you can use your pool filter/heater/sanitizer with the spa?

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.