Hot Tub combined CL 13- is that even possible!?

vwt1572c

Jun 24, 2021
CT
Hello all,

New Hot tub owner here. Filled it about 2 weeks ago and got initial water tested. Followed the instructions for balancing and have been testing it every couple of days. The numbers all seem normal, PH ALK, TH ect. FC has always been a little on the low side but seems within range. Anyway I had to go pick something up at the store, so decided to get the water tested by them again. The guy gave the results and didn't seem to react strongly to anything- pointed to a couple things and said to add a little ALK and shock it with MPS because CC was high. I was in a hurry so I didn't even really look at the results until I was home. Then I saw TC was 15, FC was 2. Is this even possible? Water is clear with very low CL smell- I don't understand how the CC could be through the roof so quickly like that. Granted we have been using it a fair amount, but nothing crazy for new hot tub owners. Based in what I can tell anything over CC of 3 or so is extreme and I would be able to tell easily.

Thanks- and input would be great. I will probably go back in a day or two for another test.

It looked like you said about a month ago that you'd be getting a good test kit. I'm concerned by your talk about TC, TH, and pool store testing that this did not happen...

Granted we have been using it a fair amount, but nothing crazy for new hot tub owners
Any use is crazy in a hot tub. You are literally making people soup. I had no clue how nasty we are until I got my hot tub. Even fresh from the shower with fresh from the wash suits on. Let’s see here….. sweat, body oils, exfoliated skin, secretions (runny nose, etc), bacteria, residual shampoo/conditioner, laundry detergent/ fabric softener, half a spilt margarita and a few tablespoons of hot wing sauce, to name just a few. Then add in all the micro organisms and yeah. Why would you even EVER want a hot tub ?

If you are going to do this, you can either get a reliable test kit like JD said above, or put your Doctor on speed dial for bacterial rash creme.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I did not get a good test kit, you are correct about that. My home testing is a basic kit and or strips. This test in question was from a tub/pool store so I assume the test would be as accurate as any take home test kit there is? The pool issue is a non factor at the moment as I am having my pool guy come once a week and last test numbers are all better there. This is specific to my hot tub, which new as of 2 weeks ago.

It looked like you said about a month ago that you'd be getting a good test kit. I'm concerned by your talk about TC, TH, and pool store testing that this did not happen

Any use is crazy in a hot tub. You are literally making people soup. I had no clue how nasty we are until I got my hot tub. Even fresh from the shower with fresh from the wash suits on. Let’s see here….. sweat, body oils, exfoliated skin, secretions (runny nose, etc), bacteria, residual shampoo/conditioner, laundry detergent/ fabric softener, half a spilt margarita and a few tablespoons of hot wing sauce, to name just a few. Then add in all the micro organisms and yeah. Why would you even EVER want a hot tub ?

If you are going to do this, you can either get a reliable test kit like JD said above, or put you DR on speed dial for bacterial rash creme.
I know several people that have been using hot tubs for 10-20 years, and never had so much as far as a rash, as least as far as I know. And these are people with the most minimal maintenance that I assure you never read these type of sites either. So i'll roll the dice as well. As to if I will get a good test kit, yes of course I will. As I said I have had the tub 2 weeks. My immediate concern was the crazy CC levels I mentioned above.

My immediate concern was the crazy CC levels I mentioned above
People soup burns though whatever chlorine you throw at it. You need to pre-dose and after dose. If you’re in there for several cycles, you need to take a break and dose in the middle.

You need to be able to test reliably. No two ways about it. Other people (including yourself) being lucky does not constitute swimmer/ hot tubber safety. Period.

Last edited:
Reactions: dan1333
This test in question was from a tub/pool store so I assume the test would be as accurate as any take home test kit there is?
That is not a good assumption.

You need to do your own testing with a reliable test kit. This will give you and us accurate numbers with which to base advice and water care upon. Pool stores, test strips, pool maintenance guys, none of these produce reliably accurate numbers.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Spa water conditions can change rapidly so testing every few days/ once a week at a pool store just doesn’t cut it. That cc amount sounds crazy but who knows if its right as you cannot produce repeatable results to compare it to. Have u been using mps? That can show up as cc’s if you don’t use the proper interference regeant when testing.
The advice i have is to get a k2006c or tf100 , do an Ahhsome purge (as even new spas can have biofilms from the factory wet test) & follow this guide 👇

Reactions: Newdude
And just remember the pool store free water tests are done to let you know what "things" you should buy from them.. its all about selling you stuff. I used to have tons of that kind of stuff till I figured it all out... well mostly anyway..

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.