Silver Supporter
Jun 2, 2020
Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Seems like there are a ton of options. Where do I start? I read some people hook up a mini SWGC. Is that something I have to do myself? I have zero knowledge other than reading the bromide/chlorine water testing threads.

Start with what you want a tub for. Is it entertainment or relaxation or Hydro Therapy. How many people could be in it at a time. figure if it's 4 people, you probably want a 6 person tub at minimum.

What would you like for features? Is this going inside or outside? Do you have 240V 50-60A service near the location or do you have 120V 30A service there? Most tubs are 240V, some are 120V convertible to 240V and some are strictly 120V units.

Once you get your wish list together, look at the brands carried by the local dealers and list the models you are interested in then go to the dealer and see them. Any you are truly interested in, arrange a wet test if possible but at a minimum, sit in the positions dry. Dealer selection is just as important as a tub selection.

Pretty much, you can't go wrong with Hot Springs, Caldera, Marquis, Artesian and it's sister tubs (Island/South Seas), Dimension One, Artic, Jacuzzi and Bullfrog. There are others, Master gets good and bad reviews. Mainly bad due to one dealer who runs travelling road shows (Master Pool and Spas is the dealer), they hit a city, sell "cheaper" (it isn't) and leave, leaving the local dealers (usually non Master Spa dealers) to clean up the mess. Master Spa (the manufacturer) really should step in here.

Notice I have said nothing about sanitation yet. That's because you can do plenty once you buy it. Some manufacturers sell a salt water system, some sell a in line chlorine or bromine system, some add an inline mineral system to that inline chlorine or bromine system. Many add Ozone, which is an oxidizer. You still need a sanitizer with ozone. The Saltron Mini gets high marks from the people who own one. It's an aftermarket, drop in, salt water unit that runs around $250-$300. That creates Chlorine by converting Sodium Chloride thru an electrolysis action to Chlorine. You can also just use one of the methods recommended in the sticky's at the top of this forum, either Chlorine or Bromine.

So, pick what you want based on your projected usage, Find a good dealer with a tub that everyone is comfortable in and is one of the top manufacturer's I mentioned and within your budget (be realistic though, you can't buy a quality, well built hot tub for $4000), then worry about setting it up using the TFT methods.

Start with what you want a tub for. Is it entertainment or relaxation or Hydro Therapy. How many people could be in it at a time. figure if it's 4 people, you probably want a 6 person tub at minimum.

What would you like for features? Is this going inside or outside? Do you have 240V 50-60A service near the location or do you have 120V 30A service there? Most tubs are 240V, some are 120V convertible to 240V and some are strictly 120V units.

Once you get your wish list together, look at the brands carried by the local dealers and list the models you are interested in then go to the dealer and see them. Any you are truly interested in, arrange a wet test if possible but at a minimum, sit in the positions dry. Dealer selection is just as important as a tub selection.

Pretty much, you can't go wrong with Hot Springs, Caldera, Marquis, Artesian and it's sister tubs (Island/South Seas), Dimension One, Artic, Jacuzzi and Bullfrog. There are others, Master gets good and bad reviews. Mainly bad due to one dealer who runs travelling road shows (Master Pool and Spas is the dealer), they hit a city, sell "cheaper" (it isn't) and leave, leaving the local dealers (usually non Master Spa dealers) to clean up the mess. Master Spa (the manufacturer) really should step in here.

Notice I have said nothing about sanitation yet. That's because you can do plenty once you buy it. Some manufacturers sell a salt water system, some sell a in line chlorine or bromine system, some add an inline mineral system to that inline chlorine or bromine system. Many add Ozone, which is an oxidizer. You still need a sanitizer with ozone. The Saltron Mini gets high marks from the people who own one. It's an aftermarket, drop in, salt water unit that runs around $250-$300. That creates Chlorine by converting Sodium Chloride thru an electrolysis action to Chlorine. You can also just use one of the methods recommended in the sticky's at the top of this forum, either Chlorine or Bromine.

So, pick what you want based on your projected usage, Find a good dealer with a tub that everyone is comfortable in and is one of the top manufacturer's I mentioned and within your budget (be realistic though, you can't buy a quality, well built hot tub for $4000), then worry about setting it up using the TFT methods.
Wow! Thank you for such a thoughtful response. We have a lot to talk about!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.