Hose clamps leaking

KM16

Mar 17, 2016
Greenville, SC
Hi, I'm trying to open my pool for the spring. Yesterday we reattached the hoses by simply sliding them in place and tighting the hose clamps ( using the same hose clamps and hoses from last year). We filled the pool back up and tryed to run the system but there are three leaks at three of the clamps. We already tightened the clamps as much as we could, but they still leak. Are we missing something?? Are we supposed to use plummers tape? Or replace the clamps every year? We just got our pool last June and everything was installed by a profesional so now we have no idea what we're doing, but we really want to learn to take care of our pool ourselves.
P.S. We know that pvc is a better option to hoses but for this year we want to keep the hoses and just focus on learning the BBB method. Hopefully next year we'll do our research and try to switch to PVC.
Any advice and sugestions will be greatly appreciated.

I have seen flex PVC used with barbed fittings. If that’s what you have, then it’s not the right connection. Flex PVC is reinforced so that it can’t collapse.

If you have actual hose, then warming the hose first with warm water or a hairdryer can help. Not too hot or the hose will get too soft.

If the clamps are rusty, they should be replaced. Using two clamps can help.

I actually had to his happen before on a sump pump discharge line. I ended up finding a small hairline crack in the pvc causing the leak from over tightening the clamp. Ended up replacing the pvc. So you might check for that. For me, continuing to tighten the clamp just made the crack bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replies! We tried warming up the hoses with warm water and pushing them in farther, than re-tightening the clamps and the fixed two of the leaks!! For the third we added another clamp and that fixed it!! Thank you so much!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.