Water is being trucked in! Intellicenter question though

Justin9314

Silver Supporter
Feb 21, 2021
Northern Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Good afternoon everyone! I discover this site from another forum. I appreciate everyone who spends time helping those who are starting this journey! I purchased a kit from poolwarehouse in Sept. Due to COVID, the delivery was delayed until November. Unfortunately, I am just now getting the final delivery due to the prior three shipments having damaged parts (one pallet. literlly looked like it feel off the truck on the highway). Luckily, being in Indiana with 15"+ of snow on the ground, installing a pool is still a few months out. I did have a few questions if you all do not mind. I have been reading through-out the forums but some of the info I found was not current that I discovered so I just thought it was best to ask.

• The steel that was provided sounds like quality steel. My question is, is it worth adding an additional layer of coating for rust protection?
  • Kind of connected to the first question, I did not go with a salt system due to the fear of additional rust issues but the more I read on here, that should not be a concern of mine? I figured there would never be a better time to do it. I travel quite a bit for work so anything that adds additional convenience would be awesome. I would much rather have my wife and kids just play in the pool rather than worrying about the chemistry side of the pool while I am gone.
    • If I went with this, would it make sense to just grab the automation bundle that includes the SWG and transformer? I do not know what I do not know in this world but I love tech. Things I currently have or plan to have in the future. 2-speed pump, heater, (SWG?), 4 color changing LEDs. Not really sure what else could/would be added but things change pretty quickly.
  • While researching automation and SWG in the past few days, I feel like I made an error in my order. I will have to reach out to PWH but I ordered 4 1.5" LEDs with a transformer. However, when I look up these models, I feel like these do not change colors? Or am I just overlooking something?
    • This is the line items on the invoice. (Light - 2 Nicheless 1.5" LED Lights 50' CORDS 12V WITH TRANSFORMER (2* H04032, 2* H00982N, 1* H01432H) Pool Light #2:2nd Light - 2 Nicheless 1.5" LED Lights 50' CORDS 12V (1* H04032, 1* H04033).
      • It lists 50' cords, assuming I use junction boxes and underground/waterproof wire nuts, I can just extend these right?
  • Depending on the rain forecast, I plan to start the build in mid-April. I read to install the liner, it should be 50-80 degrees. Thinking it could take me and a few friends 3-4 weeks to install, does this sound like a good timeline? Does 3-4 weeks seem reasonable to you? I will rent a mini-excavator for the dig. I will be doing my own footers for the walls. I plan to outsource the decking part since we plan to do all concrete. I plan to draw everything up here and post to get opinions on the design side of things in the coming weeks.
Overall I am excited to take on this challenge. I did my own irrigation for the 3 acres we sit on and it was pretty satisfying knowing I did all of the work. Obviously, this is just a little bit of a bigger challenge but a good friend of mine just installed his own and is willing to help. He also does excavate for a living. His feedback was that the automatic cover was the biggest PIA in his experience but now that he has done it, it will be less stressful.

Thanks again everyone!

I don’t know much about steel inground pools. What type of warranty comes with it?

I can not add any answers to your questions, other than for you to include as much information regarding what you have ordered and model numbers. There are a lot of TFP members in the industry that can answer construction questions as long as they know what you're working with. How thick is the steel, which particular kit did you order have delivered, etc.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I can not add any answers to your questions, other than for you to include as much information regarding what you have ordered and model numbers. There are a lot of TFP members in the industry that can answer construction questions as long as they know what you're working with. How thick is the steel, which particular kit did you order have delivered, etc.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Good call Brad. I ordered the kit from pool warehouse who ultimately ships hyrdopool material. The steel itself is 14 GA with a G-235 Zinc coating. (Is this worth adding additional lay of rust protection?)

I tried to include the other things in my signature. I will have to make a change though because looking at my dig sheet, it shows my pool being only 29,353 gallons instead of the 36,000 gallons I had calculated.

Last edited:
I did find out that PWH offers a lifetime warranty on their steel which is great news. I think I am going to pull the trigger on going to salt. I have been reading it is recommended to go 2x on the sizing of the unit. I can't seem to find anything larger than 40k for residential units. Thoughts on a 40k unit for a 29k gallon pool?

Took hubby and I 9 weeks to install working week nights for 2/3 hours and full time on weekends, we also have a 20x40. We hired excavation (best $$ we spent), electrical, concrete footings/decking. Everything else was on us. The plumbing was the worst part, vermiculite a close 2nd. Overall, a LOT of work, but we would definitely do it again and it turned out fantastic. It was a fun project and we have already made a lot of memories with it.
GET THE SWG!!! It makes life a lot easier!
GL!

Thanks Sharp! Do you think a 40k cell is enough for a 29k pool? Or do I need to plan to run two cells? From what I have been reading, automation can only handle one cell? Those posts were from a few years ago so maybe they have improved since then. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond too!

No sure if you're committed to any one manufacturer yet but Circupool offers a 60k unit...the RJ60 plus. They have pretty good sales at times. I picked mine up at the end of last season for $1240. I will be installing it as soon as the weather breaks here in VA.
Link

Thanks Sharp! Do you think a 40k cell is enough for a 29k pool?
We have a link/chart for that too !! This place is amazing.

Circupool and Pentair make 60k models. The units produce for a finite # of hours. Going larger means less runtime to produce the same amount of FC and therefore longer life. The initial buy in is the biggest hit for any system. After that it costs about 20% more to get 50% longer life.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
any of the brands only ‘talk’ to their own automation. Circupool is strictly the SWG and has no compatable equipment but will work fine right beside it if you don’t feel the need to access it by automation. Pentair works with its own equipment if you buy that too, or also as a stand alone albeit costlier than circupool.

We have pentair ic-40 and we have been happy with it. Might have to replace sooner than a 60, but we know how to do it.😉 Having a 5 month pool season helps as well.

We have pentair ic-40 and we have been happy with it. Might have to replace sooner than a 60, but we know how to do it
It’s interchangeable between models and a true plug-and-play when the time comes. It took 10 mins total including unboxing and walking out back. :)

It’s interchangeable between models and a true plug-and-play when the time comes. It took 10 mins total including unboxing and walking out back. :)
Yep...we were a little scared to install, but it literally was the quickest, simplest task ever...and we looked at each other like ' THAT was IT????' 😂😂

Reactions: Newdude
Ok...I will take a stab at it.

The steel that was provided sounds like quality steel. My question is, is it worth adding an additional layer of coating for rust protection?
- No...if you see signs of rust/corrosion when you replace the liner then you might want to consider some form of coating at that time.

Kind of connected to the first question, I did not go with a salt system due to the fear of additional rust issues but the more I read on here, that should not be a concern of mine? I figured there would never be a better time to do it. I travel quite a bit for work so anything that adds additional convenience would be awesome. I would much rather have my wife and kids just play in the pool rather than worrying about the chemistry side of the pool while I am gone.
- It's not mandatory at all...but it is pretty much hands free once you get it up and running.

If I went with this, would it make sense to just grab the automation bundle that includes the SWG and transformer? I do not know what I do not know in this world but I love tech. Things I currently have or plan to have in the future. 2-speed pump, heater, (SWG?), 4 color changing LEDs. Not really sure what else could/would be added but things change pretty quickly.
- Yes..the salt cell will require a unit to power and control it.

While researching automation and SWG in the past few days, I feel like I made an error in my order. I will have to reach out to PWH but I ordered 4 1.5" LEDs with a transformer. However, when I look up these models, I feel like these do not change colors? Or am I just overlooking something?
This is the line items on the invoice. (Light - 2 Nicheless 1.5" LED Lights 50' CORDS 12V WITH TRANSFORMER (2* H04032, 2* H00982N, 1* H01432H) Pool Light #2:2nd Light - 2 Nicheless 1.5" LED Lights 50' CORDS 12V (1* H04032, 1* H04033).
- These do change colors, but are not compatibile with the OmniLogic system...which I have. You will need some type of controler to control the color.
H04032 - These are the Lights (
https://www.poolwarehouse.com/shop/hayward-colorlogic-320-networked-led-swimming-pool-light-12v-50ft-cord/)
H00982N - These are the return fittings that the lights mount in, you need one for each light, I don't see that in what you have posted
H01432H - This is the transformer that powers the lights, this one will power all 4 or more. (it does not control color changing though)
H04033 - I don't know what this is?

It lists 50' cords, assuming I use junction boxes and underground/waterproof wire nuts, I can just extend these right?
- No...Not if you are talking about having the wire nuts/junction boxes buried. Even though the are low voltage, all wiring connections must be made above the water line of the pool when it's full, there is a code requirement of something like 12-18 inches above the waterline. I don't remember for sure, I looked it up and that is what mine are. I ordered 100' cords so I could run the wire all the way to the transformer and due to COVID I got 50' cords. I had to pick a locaiton between my 2 lights and run both lights to that location and stub up above the ground. I then went from there to my equipment pad with a single run of wire big enough to carry the 2 lights.

Depending on the rain forecast, I plan to start the build in mid-April. I read to install the liner, it should be 50-80 degrees. Thinking it could take me and a few friends 3-4 weeks to install, does this sound like a good timeline? Does 3-4 weeks seem reasonable to you? I will rent a mini-excavator for the dig. I will be doing my own footers for the walls. I plan to outsource the decking part since we plan to do all concrete. I plan to draw everything up here and post to get opinions on the design side of things in the coming weeks.
- I did mine in 5 weeks from start to finish and took the 1st week off work. I contracted the excivator to dig, the pool krete and the finish labor for the pool deck. The warmer it is during the liner install...the easier it is to get all the wrinkles out.

Ok...I will take a stab at it.
Thank you! I am not sure how I missed this response but it is very helpful.

Sorry for so many questions. I tend to over research things lol.

Do I need to develop a plan to protect the hole from rain? At what point in the project should I no longer be concerned with rain? Once I get the footers in on the walls, is that considered a safe point from a cave in?

I purchased the RJ60 circupool for my SWG. However, I am really considering buying automation from Pentair. Had a few issues with Poolwarehouse who let me return the pump and upgrade to the pentair 11056 VSF pump. Is it worth me returning the circupool (eating the 15%+) restocking fee if I do jump into automation? The real reason is from what I can tell, automation will be an extra $1000. But that comes with two valves and a subpanel. I am not sure how much a panel costs but I know valves aren't that cheap. I am naive though when it comes to automation. To my knowledge, it would control my CMP lights, the VSF, and future heater? Would it really be worth the money with this basic design?

Do I need to develop a plan to protect the hole from rain? At what point in the project should I no longer be concerned with rain? Once I get the footers in on the walls, is that considered a safe point from a cave in?

I purchased the RJ60 circupool for my SWG. However, I am really considering buying automation from Pentair. Had a few issues with Poolwarehouse who let me return the pump and upgrade to the pentair 11056 VSF pump. Is it worth me returning the circupool (eating the 15%+) restocking fee if I do jump into automation? The real reason is from what I can tell, automation will be an extra $1000. But that comes with two valves and a subpanel. I am not sure how much a panel costs but I know valves aren't that cheap. I am naive though when it comes to automation. To my knowledge, it would control my CMP lights, the VSF, and future heater? Would it really be worth the money with this basic design?

It will rain...no way around it. I had a 1.5" waste pump that I used a few times to pump the water out of the deep end and my over dig area. I did not put in main drains...so I will also use the pump when I need to drain the pool. When it rained on my build, it put 4+ feet of water in the deep end and washed about 3" of muck into my hopper bottom. I had to carry out the muck one 5 gallon bucket at a time. I bought a huge piece of visqueen, it was big enough so that it would drape all the way down in the hole and go up and over the walls. That was enough to scare the rain away and I ended up using it under my concrete pool deck. I would try to avoid a rain after you have the walls set and squared and before you pour your bond beam. If at all possible it would be best to get that concrete bond beam poured the day after your walls are set and plumb/squared. Not a huge deal if you can't...but you may get some washing under the walls and that could effect level/plumb/square.

I have automation and I like it. I have the Hayward omnilogic system and it controls the following:

VSP - schedule time on/off and power output
SWG - schedule time on/off and output
Pool Lights - schedule time on/off and color
Booster pump for Polaris cleaner - schedule time on/off
Valve for deck jets - Manual on/off from phone app, I could setup a schedule too if I choose to do so.
Low voltage landscape lighting - schedule time on/off

It can obviously do lots more...this is just what I have right now. I might add a heater and a cooler in the future. I can check/change any of the above with my phone from anywhere. To me the automation was totally worth it, I did lots of homework before I ordered from poolwarehouse and did not have to exchange anything. That is up to your budget.

It will rain...no way around it. I had a 1.5" waste pump that I used a few times to pump the water out of the deep end and my over dig area. I did not put in main drains...so I will also use the pump when I need to drain the pool. When it rained on my build, it put 4+ feet of water in the deep end and washed about 3" of muck into my hopper bottom. I had to carry out the muck one 5 gallon bucket at a time. I bought a huge piece of visqueen, it was big enough so that it would drape all the way down in the hole and go up and over the walls. That was enough to scare the rain away and I ended up using it under my concrete pool deck. I would try to avoid a rain after you have the walls set and squared and before you pour your bond beam. If at all possible it would be best to get that concrete bond beam poured the day after your walls are set and plumb/squared. Not a huge deal if you can't...but you may get some washing under the walls and that could effect level/plumb/square.

I have automation and I like it. I have the Hayward omnilogic system and it controls the following:

VSP - schedule time on/off and power output
SWG - schedule time on/off and output
Pool Lights - schedule time on/off and color
Booster pump for Polaris cleaner - schedule time on/off
Valve for deck jets - Manual on/off from phone app, I could setup a schedule too if I choose to do so.
Low voltage landscape lighting - schedule time on/off

It can obviously do lots more...this is just what I have right now. I might add a heater and a cooler in the future. I can check/change any of the above with my phone from anywhere. To me the automation was totally worth it, I did lots of homework before I ordered from poolwarehouse and did not have to exchange anything. That is up to your budget.
Thank you so much! I am scared from the irrigation project I did. They were calling for light rain and ended up getting a lot more then that! I had to hand dig all the trenches. Set me back weeks lol. Definitely wasn’t funny at the time though. I thought about building a large cover out of 2 x 4s and plywood to help shed any water but figured that might be a waste.

Attachments

• 5DEEE9EF-6B19-419E-A171-2D5DCCEB20BD.jpeg
    5DEEE9EF-6B19-419E-A171-2D5DCCEB20BD.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 77

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.