Hoping not to drown-new owner of a pool

RufusT

Apr 16, 2017
Choctaw, OK
I purchased a home a few months ago that has a 32x16 in ground, saltwater pool. I've never owned a pool before...

That said, if I am correct, it has a hayward sand filter and pump, as well as a T-15 SWG. It was closed when we purchased the home, so hoping the previous owner was honest about "good working condition".

I've read the pool school stuff and have started venturing into other forums.

Any words of wisdom that I should hear from others who jumped in head first? I'm just not wanting to pay a pool contractor if I can handle it all myself...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re: Hoping not to drown - new owner of a pool

Post pics of everything you can. That will go a long way towards helping us help you.

You've read Pool School so you know about buying a good testkit. Have you decided which kit you will get? I own and use the TF-100 with a speed stirrer and I find it easy and useful.

Congrats on the new house and pool. Welcome to TFP!

There is no need to pay anyone to open or care for your pool. If you are the least bit handy, opening shouldn't be difficult at all. See Opening Your Winterized Pool

Read and reread the information in Pool School. Sounds like you have already been there. Ask any question you may have, there are a lot of helpful pool owners here to answer your questions or give advice.

Get your self a good test kit, do your own testing and trust your results!. It will help you from day 1, and have it ready in hand when you decide to open the pool.

Open the pool before the water temps rise much above 60 degF. It will stop the green monster from taking hold. You should be past the winter freeze concerns at this point.

Only add what the testing shows you need. Nothing else. Pool Math can advise you on which and how much of each chemical to add

Last thing, don't mix & match care methods. That will only lead to disappointment. Stay out of the pool stores, except to buy toys and floaties. They only want your money.

Post pics of everything you can. That will go a long way towards helping us help you.

You've read Pool School so you know about buying a good testkit. Have you decided which kit you will get? I own and use the TF-100 with a speed stirrer and I find it easy and useful.
I'll get pics this evening. I've ordered the k2006c for testing, so I should be able do an initial test in just a few days.

Congrats on the new house and pool. Welcome to TFP!

There is no need to pay anyone to open or care for your pool. If you are the least bit handy, opening shouldn't be difficult at all. See Opening Your Winterized Pool

Read and reread the information in Pool School. Sounds like you have already been there. Ask any question you may have, there are a lot of helpful pool owners here to answer your questions or give advice.

Get your self a good test kit, do your own testing and trust your results!. It will help you from day 1, and have it ready in hand when you decide to open the pool.

Open the pool before the water temps rise much above 60 degF. It will stop the green monster from taking hold. You should be past the winter freeze concerns at this point.

Only add what the testing shows you need. Nothing else. Pool Math can advise you on which and how much of each chemical to add

Last thing, don't mix & match care methods. That will only lead to disappointment. Stay out of the pool stores, except to buy toys and floaties. They only want your money.
Thanks for this reply! I'm reasonably handy, so I don't think this is beyond me - just lacking a bit of confidence... I believe I'll be fine, but anything can haopen.

Rufus, Welcome aboard!

You're on the right track for sure, and FYI the whole forum is made up of those who jumped in head first. Almost everyone here started in your shoes. Stick around, and you might become one of them. :lol:

Keep us posted, and good luck!

What you lack in confidence you make up with being here at TFP! We can and will guide you to having an awesome pool that looks like a jewel.

I have a link for you:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

I also find keeping a log of my test results really helps me know my pool and it's needs.

Kim:kim:
I'm planning to create a log book to keep on the patio for easy access!

Stopped by the house at lunch and snapped these off..
d1a2a57443b0a499c24391d04b990465.jpg
af36b9c8925385d420931632fb2f9b1f.jpg
83187df57758c902ae86701cabf5e549.jpg
9c84025f825e628aba9de14611e88991.jpg
440687e5e8184b3e21f19fb090746673.jpg

You are off to a great start already! NICE job on the pics. Do a search on your pump to find out if it is one or two speed. That will make a big difference in your power bill.

I can't wait to see how the cell looks in the SWG.

I am really hoping they closed it clear and clean. When do you think you will open it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You are off to a great start already! NICE job on the pics. Do a search on your pump to find out if it is one or two speed. That will make a big difference in your power bill.

I can't wait to see how the cell looks in the SWG.

I am really hoping they closed it clear and clean. When do you think you will open it?

I'm planning to wait until I get the test kit before even thinking about opening it. I opened the cover a little and there is algae, but it doesn't look altogether too bad.. I'm sure that will change when it all starts getting stirred up.

Hopefully, I can remove and store the cover next week/weekend and them start figuring out what to do... I'm not even sure the water temp is going to be warm enough to open yet..

Ok... first newbie question... as I read some of the manuals, the levels recommended for a SWG pool on this site are slightly different than the levels listed in the salt systems manual...

Which levels should I use?

Ok... first newbie question... as I read some of the manuals, the levels recommended for a SWG pool on this site are slightly different than the levels listed in the salt systems manual...

Which levels should I use?

That's an easy one. TPF of course. In almost all cases, the manual is just going to repeat what the industry says. TFP exists because the industry is outdated and in many cases just plain wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

There is of course, a longer answer to that question. I'll leave it to some of the more long winded typers to chime in :thumleft:

If I may recommend, there are apps for tracking pool results and provide suggested additions or other recommendations. Try Pool Pal. I just put in my pool and it has helped me handle the water analysis results. You can even download them into excel. If you are worried about your phone getting wet, there are some good forums regarding collecting pool water in a cup and doing your analysis away from the pool.

If I may recommend, there are apps for tracking pool results and provide suggested additions or other recommendations. Try Pool Pal. I just put in my pool and it has helped me handle the water analysis results. You can even download them into excel. If you are worried about your phone getting wet, there are some good forums regarding collecting pool water in a cup and doing your analysis away from the pool.
This may be an even better idea! Thanks!

Nice pool cover!

I have that same sand filter...works great!
It appears you have a single speed pump (I have that motor in 1.5 hp, yours appears to be 1.0)

in your description / signature it reads: Plaster/pebble - painted

I had a pool that was painted by the former owner. Don't be surprised
to see fine paint particles come off when you brush, (plastic will do less harm than a metal brush)
and a possible slight cloud up after several guests at a time have been in.

But it will all filter out of course if you run the pump a few hours after.

On the pump motor label (upper left section of it in the photo) and to the left
where it mounts to the pump body, that copper thing is where the bond wire connects.

Do you see a copper or possibly greenish (from oxidizing) copper wire fastened into it?

It should also connect with the SWG somewhere and heater if you have one. If you don't see one, when you get some free time, look around your
equipment pad for a bare copper wire coming out of the ground...This is your bond wire
and an important item for pool safety.

Have a look at PoolMath, linked at the top of this page, it will give you great advice on how to maintain your pool with the information in from Pool School. There are some good apps out there but be careful which ones you use. There is a site, Poollogger.com that is based off the TFP method, and TPF will soon be releasing an app as well.
But please remember that you cannot mix and match advice from various apps/methods and expect to have good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The TFP levels are science based as well as daily tested in thousands of pool all over the world. If you would like we can point you to the journal papers on the science behind our numbers. We are starting to see the pool industry catch up to the new way of thinking. It takes time, a LONG time, for things to change. Until then we use our levels and have clear pools day in and day out!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.