Hopefully just stocked up on Chlorine for the last time today! RJ 20 Plus guidance requested

kne

Gold Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
Concord, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
We've gone through 2 Intex generators in 4 years. When we put up our new ABG our 2nd one wasn't working so I decided to just use liquid chlorine. How hard could it be? Ok, it wasn't hard but we were definitely not good at checking if there was no immediate plan to use the pool. SLAM, enjoy, ignore, repeat. End of the summer threw the bubble cover on, fully intending to get a winter cover, and now being it's March, not going to happen, which brings me to my question.

Today I ordered a RJ Plus 20 ? I've tossed the bubble cover, scooped and vacuumed most of the tree gunk out, cleaned the filter and picked up more chlorine. If all goes to plan, by the time the chlorinator arrives the water will be perfectly balanced and ready.

How do I know/learn how to use this thing? Is there a spreadsheet I should keep to learn outputs or something? Any tips or tricks? Did I make a decent purchase?

First you need to run a full set of labs to include a Salt Test (Taylor 1766 kit)
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
SALT

If your pool isn't clear, clean and free of CCs, you probably need to perform a SLAM process before anything else.

Then once that is done... you will add salt based on what the device tells you it needs to run. But first check your water's current salt level- yes, it will have some already! Every chem you've added has left some residual salt behind already.
Use PoolMath to help you know how much more to add to bring you up to desired level. Do not turn the SWG on until a day or so after adding salt.

Also you'll raise your CYA up to the recommended level- FC/CYA Levels

Then you'll bring your pool FC up to desired level using liquid chlorine. Once that's in there and you've added your SWG to the system, turn it on and let the device *maintain* the desired chlorine level. Remember that if you ever need a fast blast of chlorine, its easiest to use liquid chlorine. The SWG words slow and steady.... like the tortoise and the hare, y'know?

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: setsailsoon and kne
I bought an SWG for the same reason. If I am paying attention the pool stays perfect, but the 2 weeks when I ignore it things turn bad quick then it's a huge hassle
Plus I hate hauling chlorine, Liquid or tablets.

Reactions: kne
Good choice on the SWG and you sized it appropriately for your pool's volume. Follow Maddie's advice to get your pool clean and balanced, and get your FC up to your target level with liquid chlorine.

Long Answer:
SWG production is measured in pounds-of-chlorine gas. Your SWG produces 0.9 lbs or 14.4 oz of chlorine gas per day at 100%. You can use the old Pool Math page to enter the stats on your pool in the rows. In the "Effects of adding chemicals" section, select "Chlorine Gas" in the drop down box and enter 14.4 oz in the "Adding" box. This will provide you with the amount of FC produced in your pool if run 24 hours at 100%. In your case, running your SWG for 24 hours will raise FC by 14. That means your SWG will increase FC by .58 per/hour run at 100%. During swim months, most pools will lose 2-4 ppm of FC daily. Fine tune your runtime and percentage based on that hourly production rate and daily FC loss.

Short Answer:
Your SWG raises FC by .58 per/hour. You'll need to run it between 4-7 hours at 100% during summer months.

Hopefully you're not too confused. I don't use the pool math app, but I know the app will calculate all this for you when set up for a SWG.

Last edited:
Short Answer:
Your SWG raises FC by .58 per/hour. You'll need to run it between 4-7 hours at 100% during summerHopefully you're not too confused. I don't use the pool math app, but I know the app will calculate all this for you when set up for a SWG.

BB12C99F-45F5-42A5-9EBA-834A7B72BA5F.png

To add on to the comment the App will assist simply select your SWG during setup and use it just like you would other chemicals. No bouncing around and doing math

Thank you all for your replies, sorry for the delay in responding.

Explanations were great! I'm understanding now how to calculate :) They ended up sending me a RJ30 instead of the RJ20 I ordered. Was charged for the RJ20, so not sure.. the website had the deal of get an upgrade for $1 more which I thought I did with the RJ16 -> RJ20 but at any rate, I paid $802.40 delivered so I'm not complaining. If my calculations are correct, if I ran 24 hours at 100% I would get 24.0 FC

Searching online I think the RJ30 produces 1.5 lbs per day so once it warms up I will figure out my daily consumption and go from there. With the % output, is there a better way to run it? Shortest amount of hours at highest percentage or longer times at lower percentages? My plan is to run it at night when power is cheaper.

You will need to address your high TA you reported in your other thread before using the SWCG. Target a TA of 80 or under.

You will need to address your high TA you reported in your other thread before using the SWCG. Target a TA of 80 or under.

Yep, we've bought all the plumbing but I wont let install happen until water is perfect. Do not want to wreck an expensive piece of equipment with bad water/chemistry. As we are in shelter in place for now, I have the time to devote to getting it there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.