Home reno & pool questions - Boston MA

gb99

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 15, 2013
Boston, MA
Happy Friday,

The IG vinyl pool pictured below is in my back yard. I'm adding an addition onto the back of the house and it will get really close to the pool steps seen in the picture. I don't want the pool to limit how much space I can add to the house (homes are valuable around here - pools not so much, unfortunately), so I'm thinking about having the Pool's steps removed to give me a few extra feet of real estate.

Questions:
1) What is the process to remove pool steps and replace it with a vertical wall that's the same height as the rest of the shallow end? (The pool will then be a rectangle). Estimated cost or man hours?
2) How easy/hard is it to add steps to the corners to the left and right of the existing steps (shallow end)? Again, estimated cost or man hours?
3) The pool pad will have to be removed while the home construction is taking place, meaning return and supply pipes to the pool will be cut. What can I do to prepare for this? The inground pipes are black poly.
4) I'm thinking of adding a wooden deck between the new addition and the shallow end of the pool, to "join" the two structures. The elevations are relatively close, so it'll be a step down from the house and then another step down to the existing concrete deck. What do you all think?

Thanks and I'll update the thread as home construction begins!

1-jpg.22428

Reactions: ebcass
GB, I think what you are proposing to do, is going to cost some serious money. You are basically redoing the whole pool, as you will need demo and construction, as well as a new vinyl liner.
I can’t give you a price, but we just moved to AZ from the North Shore, and I know things aren’t cheap there. Either way, good luck, and I’ll ping some people that may be able to give you some answers/opinions. :cheers:
@bdavis466 @PoolguyinCT @JamesW

That’s a Heldor steel kit..
About 15 to 20k for scope you described.

Looks like long wall has sunken considerably.. that’s troubling

Ok, stairs are staying put! I'm assuming you think the long wall has sunken because of the sloping water line from the shallow to deep end? I hope that's just the way the picture was taken but will check for sure. If it's sunken, how is it repaired?

In the pic the water looks like it is right up to the white "coping" at the far end but only up to the bottom of the liner pattern by the steps. Here is hoping it is just the shade. Not sure how to fix that if it is what happened. Does your deck have any cracks or such?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
they are attached to the the top of paneled under coping, so out about 3’.

Cutting the deck , is likely to sever the bonding loop particularly ina a stair area. I would be sure he understands such work & remedies.

Can you point me to documentation on how to ensure the bonding loop is retained or repaired? I want to read up on it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Agree with poolguy your proposed Reno would be pricey. You are gonna prob just have the builder do his thing w the foundation and while dug and still open get a pool guy in to fix what was damaged. Black poly is old school piping but a guy who knows what hes doing can fix you up. You could eliminate the steps and have a panel fabricated to close in the steps and abandon them in place or cut down to give you room fairly cheap and then a new liner put in. You could add wedding cake steps in the corner or some type of steps using the inside of the pools real estate. Adding outside gets costly and it looks like you are sagging already in the back corner. Get a borderless liner to hide it ;)

Can someone point me to the adapters / nipples for connecting black poly to PVC pipe? Since the splice will eventually be covered underground, I want to make sure I use the correct products.

For the above ground splices I did in the past, I just used a male to female PVC adapter from Home Depot.

Thanks all.

Can someone point me to the adapters / nipples for connecting black poly to PVC pipe? Since the splice will eventually be covered underground, I want to make sure I use the correct products.

For the above ground splices I did in the past, I just used a male to female PVC adapter from Home Depot.

Thanks all.

Let's see if @jimmythegreek @kadavis @bdavis466 @PoolguyinCT can help

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.