Highly confused....

Jul 7, 2015
Anrews/Texas
ok so I ordered a TF-100 refill kit to use to refill my taylor k-2006 kit. My kit does not have a R-0600 reagent, but the refill kit does. The refill kit does not have r-0003 leading me to believe these are the same thing, but I want to double check before using it as such.

I don't think the K-2006 comes with R-0600. This is the OTO indicator for a quick check of your Chlorine level (I use it on occasion). You should have gotten a bottle of R-0003...this is the DPD reagent, without it, you will not be able to check for CC. If the DPD powder is white/off-white it should be fine.

I'm assuming thats the same thing as the chlorine and is basic reagent. basically the same as r-004

- - - Updated - - -

I know I should have just ordered the proper refill kit but my understanding was the tf-100 was a supersized version of the k-2006.

ok, so thats the basic chlorine test not the dpd test reagent, that will be useful and I can use it with a cheap test tube for my SLAM. Also they have none of the same PH reagents only r-0014 and my kit came with r-0004-6
The OTO Chlorine R-0600 is a quick test for TC (Total Chlorine) up to 5 ppm, it SHOULD NOT be used for a SLAM! Use the FAS/DPD, it will read up to 50 ppm of FC (Free Chlorine) + it will give you CC (Combined Chloramines)...You cannot do a SLAM without the FAS-DPD test.

The K2006 uses r-004 (indicator) + Acid/Base Demand reagents. The TF-100 only does pH. The TF-100 has a dual indicator sample block, one side for OTO Chlorine the other side for pH.

My refill also came with the PH reagents r-0014. I'm having trouble with the color. After adding 5 drops, it's still clear. I used some left-over PH reagents r-004 from last year, the color is fine & I can determine my PH level. When I use double the r-0014 drops, it is the same as last years r-004. Did they dilute the reagents in the refill kit?

R-0014 is not the same as r-004. R-0014 is a different concentration. I think it will be fine to use if you double the amount of drops, but it would be best to contact TF Testkits to be sure.

r-0014 and R-0004 are not the same for testing purposes. They should not be intermixed or doubled up. Did you order R-0014? That is not the correct reagent number assuming you are trying to refill the TF-100.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
yeah I ran into the concentration problem this afternoon when testing. the red for PH is definitely inaccurate in the k-2006 sized test tube. but I have a regular smaller tube to see if its accurate with that one. I also tried to use the basic chlorine test. It showed high color was way yellow by the scale on the tube I used over 5ppm. DPD test showed 3ppm, .5ppm CC so I'm almost done with my SLAM HURRAY!!! Didn't take as long as i figured with not adding any chlorine or algeacide for winterizing and growing a considerably nasty swamp as a result. turns out I didn't need the extra CYA reagent which is why i ordered the test. I was trying to use an intex SWG last year and couldn't keep it happy with salt levels, but because of that I had the cya really high as recommended. The test today after refilling the 3/4 i drained for the winter showed 35PPM which I'm happy with.

- - - Updated - - -

but anticipating high TA in the fill water(every other year I fought PH the first half of the summer until it stabilized) I dumper a whole gallon of MA into the pool after filling. Now I have low PH and a TA of 110. So I'm going to drain it just enough for the outlet to aerate and bring the PH back up, and it should be happy trails this summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.