Highly confused....

RickW2007

Jul 7, 2015
Anrews/Texas
ok so I ordered a TF-100 refill kit to use to refill my taylor k-2006 kit. My kit does not have a R-0600 reagent, but the refill kit does. The refill kit does not have r-0003 leading me to believe these are the same thing, but I want to double check before using it as such.

jaduck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2013
Arab, Alabama
I don't think the K-2006 comes with R-0600. This is the OTO indicator for a quick check of your Chlorine level (I use it on occasion). You should have gotten a bottle of R-0003...this is the DPD reagent, without it, you will not be able to check for CC. If the DPD powder is white/off-white it should be fine.

RickW2007

Jul 7, 2015
Anrews/Texas
ok, so thats the basic chlorine test not the dpd test reagent, that will be useful and I can use it with a cheap test tube for my SLAM. Also they have none of the same PH reagents only r-0014 and my kit came with r-0004-6

RickW2007

Jul 7, 2015
Anrews/Texas
I'm assuming thats the same thing as the chlorine and is basic reagent. basically the same as r-004

- - - Updated - - -

I know I should have just ordered the proper refill kit but my understanding was the tf-100 was a supersized version of the k-2006.

jaduck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2013
Arab, Alabama
ok, so thats the basic chlorine test not the dpd test reagent, that will be useful and I can use it with a cheap test tube for my SLAM. Also they have none of the same PH reagents only r-0014 and my kit came with r-0004-6
The OTO Chlorine R-0600 is a quick test for TC (Total Chlorine) up to 5 ppm, it SHOULD NOT be used for a SLAM! Use the FAS/DPD, it will read up to 50 ppm of FC (Free Chlorine) + it will give you CC (Combined Chloramines)...You cannot do a SLAM without the FAS-DPD test.

The K2006 uses r-004 (indicator) + Acid/Base Demand reagents. The TF-100 only does pH. The TF-100 has a dual indicator sample block, one side for OTO Chlorine the other side for pH.

heikejohn

Oct 18, 2007
Cedar Hill, TN
My refill also came with the PH reagents r-0014. I'm having trouble with the color. After adding 5 drops, it's still clear. I used some left-over PH reagents r-004 from last year, the color is fine & I can determine my PH level. When I use double the r-0014 drops, it is the same as last years r-004. Did they dilute the reagents in the refill kit?

domct203

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 3, 2015
CT
R-0014 is not the same as r-004. R-0014 is a different concentration. I think it will be fine to use if you double the amount of drops, but it would be best to contact TF Testkits to be sure.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
r-0014 and R-0004 are not the same for testing purposes. They should not be intermixed or doubled up. Did you order R-0014? That is not the correct reagent number assuming you are trying to refill the TF-100.

RickW2007

Jul 7, 2015
Anrews/Texas
yeah I ran into the concentration problem this afternoon when testing. the red for PH is definitely inaccurate in the k-2006 sized test tube. but I have a regular smaller tube to see if its accurate with that one. I also tried to use the basic chlorine test. It showed high color was way yellow by the scale on the tube I used over 5ppm. DPD test showed 3ppm, .5ppm CC so I'm almost done with my SLAM HURRAY!!! Didn't take as long as i figured with not adding any chlorine or algeacide for winterizing and growing a considerably nasty swamp as a result. turns out I didn't need the extra CYA reagent which is why i ordered the test. I was trying to use an intex SWG last year and couldn't keep it happy with salt levels, but because of that I had the cya really high as recommended. The test today after refilling the 3/4 i drained for the winter showed 35PPM which I'm happy with.

- - - Updated - - -

but anticipating high TA in the fill water(every other year I fought PH the first half of the summer until it stabilized) I dumper a whole gallon of MA into the pool after filling. Now I have low PH and a TA of 110. So I'm going to drain it just enough for the outlet to aerate and bring the PH back up, and it should be happy trails this summer.

RickW2007

Jul 7, 2015
Anrews/Texas
Test seems accurate in my smaller test tubes for both the OTO chlorine and the PH test. I will still order the proper chemicals for my kit form here so I don't have to keep multiple test tubes