High TA, low pH - HELP!

FunInNJ

Jun 10, 2020
New Jersey
Just got back from a Leslie's run for chlorine and for pool test. (No judgments, please!) The chemistry has been jacked but we're getting there. Here are the stats:

• Volume 30,000 gal
  • FC 2.24
  • TC 2.45
  • pH 6.9
  • TA 167
  • Calcium Hardness 222
  • CYA 14
  • Phosphates 1120
  • Salt 3404 (NB: the salt cell isn't working - we didn't realize until after we added the salt when we opened the pool.)
So how do we get the TA down without decreasing pH some more? Or do we increase the pH first and then keep on working on the TA? Leslie's printout instructs us to add FORTY-THREE POUNDS of dry acid (in 3.75-lb increments, with 4-hr waits in between each dose). That number sounds obscene.

I'm reading about aerating to increase the pH but we don't have any water features to turn on!

I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you!

A high TA by itself is not an issue. I would just leave it the way it is. The CSI is slightly negative so scaling won't be an issue. The PH is not that low to cause any other problems and will likely rise fairly quickly.

However, CYA is way too low.

Reactions: FunInNJ
A high TA by itself is not an issue. I would just leave it the way it is. The CSI is slightly negative so scaling won't be an issue. The PH is not that low to cause any other problems and will likely rise fairly quickly.

However, CYA is way too low.
Thanks, Mark! No doubt the CYA is low! But that one seems like an easy solve - adding stabilizer. If that's all that needs to happen for my kids to finally be able to jump in this pool, my husband will be very happy to have us all off of his back!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.