High TA and Calcuium

New and confused

Jun 2, 2014
Elburn, IL
I have had an above ground pool for the past 7 years. It is a vinyl round 26 round X4 foot pool. You have been a big help throughout. I have mostly been on autopilot after our first year. However I have been battling high TA for a few years and can't seem to lower it. We just filled the pool (after lowering it for the winter) and here are our numbers:
PH 7.2
CL 0
CC 0
TA 230-240
CYA 35
CH 850

I have since added 2 quarts of liquid chlorine and tested the next day (today)
PH 7.6
CL 7.5
CC 0
TA 250
CYA between 30 and 40 ( I still have trouble determining this one)
CH 625

I would appreciate your thoughts!

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
How did the CH drop by 225 ppm?

The TA will cause your pH to rise more quickly, and with your potentially elevated CH, can cause scale to form on the pool surfaces.

To lower TA, follow Lower Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

New and confused

Jun 2, 2014
Elburn, IL
In regards to why the CH dropped, it could be that I didn't test correctly. I usually don't do that test as I have a vinyl pool. When I add the drops to bring it back to blue, it really was purple. I never really had a true blue color. Is that okay? If not, that number is way higher. My liner has been smooth and have not had any scaling in my pump over the past 7 years. We did replace our pump this year. (The motor gave out.) The temperature is pretty cold right now as we don't have a heater. The water is 50 ish degrees. Could that effect any numbers?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The CH test turns baby blue. Hard to do that test without a SmartStir device. If no scale, I guess you are OK. Watch for it as the water warms. Only test effected by temperature is CYA. But your water should be warm enough.