Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,
I am setting up my pool for the summer. I have walked all my numbers in using pool math app and the pool looks great. My problem is my SWG is reading high salt and when I try to calibrate it the system just goes back to high salt reading. I have tried to verify that T-15 cell is correct for the unit I have but I am unable to locate anywhere to change between cell types. My version for the Hayward Blue Essence is v1.4. My current salt reading using K-1766 is 2800ppm and my generator is reading 4000ppm. I have attempted to clean salt-cell and it looks spotless with no difference after. The cell is only 3 years old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If the box is a Hayward blue essence 20, it would have come with a T-5 cell.

You can change the cell type to T-15 by connecting the points on the board with solder.

This board has a jumper that says T-5 or T-15.

Show a picture of your board.

Aquarite board J4.jpg

I will take a picture tomorrow. I am working nights right now. I am glad that there is an option for a jumper here and hope that is the problem. Thanks for the information.

See the J4 jumper location below the J7 jumper.

Your board will probably look like this with two solder point and no jumper.

Connect the two solder points together to make it into a T-15 setting.
Aquarite J4 T-5.jpg

If you change the cell type to T-15, the salinity reading will drop by about half.

If you change the cell type from T-5 to T-15, the salinity will go from reading 4,000 to about 2,000 ppm, which will be too low and the box will shut down unless you add a lot more salt.

If the instant reading goes to 2,000 and the actual salinity is 2,800, then the cell is only performing at about 71%, which would mean that the cell is almost dead.

So, you might not want to change it now if it is working with no problems.

I would probably wait until you replace the cell with a new T-15 before you change the cell type to T-15.

What are the first 7 characters of the cell serial number?

I did a quick look this morning when I got home. It is the second board without a jumper installed. I will get an updated salt reading and get the other numbers you were looking for later today. I am going to take board to work since I have a better setup to install a jumper wire instead of just a blob of solder

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not exactly. I had it replaced when we purchased the house. We had a home warranty that covered the SWG. I am sure that one was just sitting on the shelf. I have never had luck with those home warranty companies. It may have been a T5 cell to begin with and they swapped to a T15 and it has never really worked right. Live and learn I guess.

Reactions: JamesW
Just be aware that your cell might be about dead and you will likely need a new one soon.

Once you start the system, check the instant salinity in both polarities and divide the instant salinity by the actual measured salinity.

If the percentage in either polarity is below 75%, it's time to replace the cell.

Reactions: riddleuscg
After installation of jumper wire all salt readings were very thought. My test kit showed 2400, pool store showed 2313, and swg showed 2400. Thanks for all the help with this issue. Added another bag of salt and all readings are together ~2850-2900

Last edited:
Reactions: mguzzy and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.