HIGH SALT READING IN PEBBLE TEC POOL

rmklaw

Aug 27, 2009
I hd my plaster pool re built with Pebble Tec 1 1/2 years ago. The old pool was saltwater. However, After the PebbleTec resurfacing I never used salt and have been using chlorine. I have a strange problem. The last check for chemistry showed everything normal, but the salt level is 2100.

How can salt level go that high if I never used salt after the remodeling of the pool? Could old salt leached from the gunite after the pool was Peble Tec?

Any help in resolving this puzzle would be appreciated. I sometimes use water softener water for topping up, but the salt level from the tap is under 200 ppm. Thanks.

Liquid chlorine contains salt. If you are using 10% LC then for every 3.6ppm of FC you are adding 5.6 ppm of salt.

If your pool uses 3ppm of FC a day then in 500 days you will have added over 2,500 ppm of salt.

ajw22: That could be the answer. I have been using liquid chlorine since the remodel. Jim, I stopped the salt system after the remodel because I was concerned that the salt system was causing the staining I fought for years in the old plaster. Having said that, PebbleTec tells me that the salt system should not cause staining in PebbleTec, provided chemicals are balanced. Accordingly, I am going to enable again my Poolpilot Total Control. I probably will need to replace the cell. It has 41,000 AH and over 6 years. I run a test and it shows at 25% 0volts and 6.5 Amps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.