High Pressure jump!!

Rumple

Jun 18, 2010
:?: I'm really baffled on why my pump pressure jumps form 15 psi to 35? I first noticed this while trying to manually vaccum the pool. Pressure goes up, vaccum goes down! I've backwashed the filter, that solves the problem for about 10 minutes. Just long enough to make you mad!! :twisted: Both clean out baskets are clean. I thought maybe the sand needed to be replaced, so I bought my pool filter sand at LOWES hardware. It did NOT solve the problem. I've replaced the main gasket on the multi-port valve and that it did NOT fix it either. I'm getting rather ticked off! After doing a backwash and just letting the pump run, the pressure stays down around 15-18 psi for about an hour than it will slowly make it's way to 35. I've looked for air at the pump clean out basket thinking it may be getting cavitated, but there is no air present. It's a 300 lb. sta-rite sand filter, sta-rite multi-port valve and a 1.5 hp pump. What could possibly be the problem?? Thank you

sounds like you ARE filtering out some kind of waste. it's normal to have to back wash when vacuuming crud from your pool... just keep vac'ing, backwashing, and get your water in balance. When everything is cleaned up and sanitized properly, your filter routine should change to normal. (an algae bloom can do this even if you can't see it yet)

Please post a full set of test results and how you got them.

pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

I agree that it sounds like your filtering out something.

How long has it being doing this?

Tell us what all you've added to the pool? (floc, clarifier, shock, other chems)

How does the water look?

End of last season! This year I emptied the pool completly to give it a scrub down, replaced sand and I replaced the 5 way gasket on the multi-port valve last year . Then refilled with fresh water. It started this Crud from day one, just like it ended last year.

Currently my pool looks terrible! The only thing that was getting cleaner was my bank account. running the pump forever, adding chemicals and getting no where. With a clean pool to start and fresh sand it should of been working great. any ideas would be great!
Bama Rambler said:
Please post a full set of test results and how you got them.

pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA

I agree that it sounds like your filtering out something.

How long has it being doing this?

Tell us what all you've added to the pool? (floc, clarifier, shock, other chems)

How does the water look?

If your water isn't clear your filter is doing it's job. That's all you can expect from it. Just be glad you got a sand filter or you'd really be cursing a cartridge or DE.

If you'll post he numbers I asked for we can help get it clear for you.

I think you are missing the point here, the pressure goes up and the water doesn't move through the filter, very low to no flow on the return jets in the side of the pool.. I started the year with a pool full of fresh clear water, and a filter with new sand. It started this pressure rise from day one. almost like ther is obstuction in the return line or the fingers in the filter are plugged ot something.

You're right I was missing the point. When I read
After doing a backwash and just letting the pump run, the pressure stays down around 15-18 psi for about an hour than it will slowly make it's way to 35.
In my mind this was an indication that the filter was catching something and clogging up with in an hour. If it was a line blockage it would happen almost immediately.

When you backwash, how dirty is the water?

JohnT said:
When you backwash, how long do you run the pump?
I backwash it for at least 3 minutes, than rinse for 1. Like normal the intial flush for backwash the water is a little dirty, than it clears up really quick. After the back wash and rinse, cleaning the baskets and getting set up to manually vaccum. Turn the pump on, prime the vacum hose, clear the air from the system, the pump will run at 15-18 psi. With in 5 to 10 minutes the vaccum loses suction and the pressure rises to 35. Than you do it all over again. NOT FUN!!! Than of course you have to continue to add water, because you waste so much with the backwash and rinse over and over.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
duraleigh said:
Thank you, for your interest in this topic. But if you read this post from the being, you'll find that this was messing up from the first day of the season. The pool was emptied and scubbed clean. Than refilled with fresh water and the filter backwashed and rinsed. It's been a battle every since? Any other ideas?

Everything in your last post makes sense for a very dirty pool.

That cycle will continue until you get your water clean

esim13 said:
Did you consider changing your pressure guage and seeing if it does the same thing? Is everything fine inside your filter: laterals and all?

The laterals are all good and I cleaned them with a tooth brush, just to make sure. The filter is a 300lbs sta-rite globe type that you can split in half. Easy to change the sand and inspect the laterals. I don't doubt the gage! When manually using the vaccum and the pressure goes up I lose vaccum. So I'd say the gage is pretty accurate. It's not just 1 or 2 lbs of pressure. It runs normal from 15-18 psi and jumps up to 35. When it does the vaccum just goes away on the clean up hose. The filter and pump assembly are only about 3 years old.

At the start of this season, I drained the pool, scrubbed it down, filled it with fresh clean water, cleaned the laterals, backwashed the filter and it never worked as it should.

thank you.

I know that I'm having a problem figuring out what the problem is because it'll run an hour before you need to backwash. That's the classic symptom of filtering out something and clogging the filter.

What happens if you put the filter on bypass or recirculation? Does the pressure rise over time?

Rumple,

I've backwashed the filter, that solves the problem for about 10 minutes.

After doing a backwash and just letting the pump run, the pressure stays down around 15-18 psi for about an hour than it will slowly make it's way to 35.

Even though everything points to your filter clogging up from debris (even though you may not be able to see it), you do not believe that is the case.

Water stops flowing because something is blocking it. Why do you not think it is your filter that is blocking it?

Test results will ususally indicate some water chemistry problems. Can you post them?

I agree w/ duraleigh and bama rambler... please backwash and then immediately put on recirculate (bypass). If the pressure stays down, I would say that is confirmation that your filter is cleaning SOMETHING out of the water. Please post all the requested water chemistry test results so the good folks here at TFP can help you out!

However... if the pressure rises when your system is set to bypass the filter... then that's a real puzzle!

Remember, backwash first, and then recirculate... and let us know the results.

Currently my pool looks terrible! The only thing that was getting cleaner was my bank account. running the pump forever, adding chemicals and getting no where. With a clean pool to start and fresh sand it should of been working great. any ideas would be great!

If your pool currently looks terrible then something is wrong with the water chemistry. Adding chemicals and getting no where - we need test results to get you somewhere. We have no idea what's in the water. A clean or clear pool doesn't necessarily mean a sanitized pool. If your pool is not sanitized then your filter is doing it's job and filtering out unwanted matter, whether you see it or not. Algae isn't always green. No one can give you ideas on where to go without TEST RESULTS. I am curious as to why you won't post them or haven't posted them yet?!?! I would also suggest posting test results of the fresh new clean water. It's obvious something is going on and it's hard to move forward without knowing the chemical makeup of your water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.