High pool pump pressure

nityntiy

May 17, 2016
Dallas, TX
My pump pressure is running high lately even after hosing down the cartridge 3-4 times. It starts at 8 psi and in 20 minutes or so, goes up to 16 psi. I had a lot of algae in it last month as I was out of town for several weeks. I ended up shocking the pool and washing the cartridge, but still, the pressure is running higher than normal. There is another valve next to the pump that leaks water. Not sure if that's the culprit. What are my options?

The blue component (whatever that is) leaks water through the top.

Attachments

• IMG_9161.JPG
    IMG_9161.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9162.JPG
    IMG_9162.JPG
    533.1 KB · Views: 58
You state you 'had' algae. Did you complete the SLAM Process through to the end to eliminate it?

Quickly rising filter pressure nearly always implies algae in the pool water.

Yes, that was couple weeks ago. Now the water is clear but cloudy and pressure is real high. The filter looks clean compared to the first 2-3 days, it was real dirty and greenish with all the algae in it. But now it looks normal. I checked the skimmer and it looks clean of debris as well.

That leak on the pressure side does not contribute to high pressure. What does contribute is resistance (dead algae and debris) in your filter.

As Marty says above, I think you will find you still have algae and that your problem is with your chemistry and not with your filter.

Post a full set of test results from one of our recommended test kits. Also, fill out your signature with details about your pool and equipment (including test kit).

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temp

After we have this info, we can better assist you.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
The blue component (whatever that is) leaks water through the top.

This is a Nature 2 cartridge. It will leak until you replace the cartridge, which isn't a good thing.
If you search the Forum, you'll find that it will: add metals to your pool that you don't need, not
do any of the things promised to keep your water "cleaner with less chlorine" and cost you a
ridiculous amount to replace the cartridge 2x a year. I think it's why the convenient "leak feature"
was added!

I had one for many years until I found TFP. I had the cartridge completely removed and had a
PVC piece added to patch the hole. I don’t miss it AT ALL. My pool looks great and I get to
save over $150+ annually.

Reactions: nityntiy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use good water pressure, and a good high pressure nozzle. They sell brass ones at home depot for about 5 dollars. It should look like a mustard cap, shaped like a cone. This is the best nozzle to use. It sounds like you've still got algae between the pleats of your cartridges. I have noticed a certain brand of cartridges do tend to plug up rapidly after only 1 year of use, I don't know if they have fixed the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
After shocking, I ended up vacuuming the white dust(large quantity) from the pool floor and it was fed back through the skimmer line. Is that how it's supposed to be done? It's my first time doing it. Just making sure I don't need to drain/clean the water inside the catridge dome since the pressure remains high even after hosing down the filter.

As TFP does not advocate Shocking, what were you using and what were you trying to achieve?

I had severe algae problem and ended up shocking the pool to get rid of it. But now the filter pressure is high shortly after running the pump. Tried cleaning the filters mulitple times, but pressure stays high in 20 minutes.

To clear the pool of algae, you should follow the SLAM Process. It is not a one time application of chlorine.

What test kit do you use? Can you fill out your signature?

Your filter is clogging with algae.

To clear the pool of algae, you should follow the SLAM Process. It is not a one time application of chlorine.

What test kit do you use? Can you fill out your signature?

Your filter is clogging with algae.
I did slamming and ended up getting the white dust at the bottom. That's when I did the vacuum to remove the dust. Then I cleaned the filters multiple times, still the pressure goes up shortly after starting the pump (around 30-40 minutes). Never had this issue before, normally cleaning the filter 2 times max brings the pressure back to normal.

Read Cartridge Filter Use and Care - Further Reading

You need to clean a cartridge with TSP and then soak in diluted acid.
Thinking about picking up some TSP cleaner. But I read online that it might cause phosphate bloom in your pools which is rich source of algae food. Is it still safe to clean the filter with it? How do you ensure the filter is fully clean from the TSP after hosing it down?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.